Wednesday, July 21, 2010

'I'm a virgin,' says Brit Asian boxer Amir Khan

Published>Wed, Jul 21 10 04:53 PM

London, July 21 (ANI): WBA Light Welterweight champ Amir Khan of Britain has told a boxing magazine that he was single and has never had sex.

He revealed that he would love to have curvy US telly babe Kim Kardashian as his dream date.

Asked for his "favourite sex position" Khan replied, and the Daily Star quoted him as saying: "Errr, I'm a virgin."

uizzed if he had a girlfriend, he said: "No, I'm proper single.

If I did she would be a size eight with a good personality."

Khan, who stopped Paulie Malignaggi, 29, in New York's Madison Square Garden to retain his world title earlier this year, later confirmed the revelation on Twitter. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Can't wait to play alongside Cole: Gerrard

Published>Wed, Jul 21 10 04:27 PM

London, Jul 21 (ANI): Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has provided a major boost to the club by pledging to stay at Anfield, and said he cannot wait to play alongside new signing Joe Cole.

Skipper Gerrard, 30, returned to Melwood for pre-season training yesterday and put the record straight on his own plans.

He revealed how new boss Roy Hodgson convinced him to stay after his relationship with ex-chief Rafa Benitez unravelled last season, The Sun reports.

"I made it clear I needed to concentrate on the World Cup, then have a decent holiday with my family. I wanted the chance to meet Roy Hodgson and having done so, I'm very impressed with his plans," Gerrard said.

"I've only returned to training today at Melwood with some of the other World Cup players but I can't wait for the new season to start," he said.

Gerrard is also relishing the chance to play alongside England teammate Cole.

The Anfield hero played a key role in persuading the midfielder to leave London while they were together in South Africa.

"I have seen first hand just how good Joe is. He has proved his ability over many years, sometimes against us - so it'll be fantastic to play alongside him in a red shirt for Liverpool," Gerrard said.

"I've told him what a great club this is and I'm sure Joe's the sort of exciting talent our fans will love to see. It's a great signing for us," he added. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Taylor defends continuation of 'enjoyable' ODIs

Published>Wed, Jul 21 10 04:23 PM

Auckland (New Zealand), July 21 (ANI): New Zealand middle order batsman Ross Taylor has said that one-day cricket doesn't need to be changed.

The Manawatu Standard quoted the 26-year-old, who will captain New Zealand on their one-day tour of Sri Lanka, starting on August 10, as saying: "I guess with the power plays, it makes it a little bit more interesting. Obviously the big carrot going forward is the World Cup."

Taylor said punters only had to look at last year's Champion's Trophy in South Africa to see how one-day cricket could be exciting.

"I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy one-day cricket," Taylor said of the upcoming series.

He said: "Getting some experience in the subcontinent will be vital going into the World Cup." (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Tea scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, Day 4, First Test

Published>Wed, Jul 21 10 04:07 PM

Galle (Sri Lanka), July 21 (IANS) Scoreboard at tea on the fourth day of the first cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka at the Galle International Stadium here Wednesday.

Sri Lanka (first innings): 520 for eight declared

India (first innings, overnight 140/3):

Gautam Gambhir lbw b Malinga 2

Virender Sehwag c Pranavitana b Welegedara 109

Rahul Dravid run out (Malinga/Mathews) 18

Sachin Tendulkar lbw b Muralitharan 8

V.V.S. Laxman c Dilshan b Malinga 22

Yuvraj Singh c Mahela b Muralitharan 52

Muttiah Dhoni b Muralitharan 33

Harbhajan Singh st Prasanna b Herath 2

Ishant Sharma not out 5 28 19 0 0 26.31

Pragyan Ojha c Mahela b Muralitharan 3

Abhimanyu Mithun b Muralitharan 8

Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 2, nb 10) 14

Total (all out; 65 overs; 296 mins) 276

Fall of wickets: 1-2 (Gambhir, 0.2 overs), 2-68 (Dravid, 12.2), 3-101 (Tendulkar, 20.4), 4-169 (Sehwag, 36.2), 5-178 (Laxman, 39.3), 6-252 (Dhoni, 54.5), 7-259 (Yuvraj, 56.6), 8-259 (Harbhajan, 57.2), 9-266 (Ojha, 62.3)

Bowling:

Lasith Malinga 13-0-55-2

Chanaka Welegedara 11-1-69-1

Rangana Herath 18-1-62-1

Angelo Mathews 5-0-19-0

Muttiah Muralitharan 17-1-63-5

Tillekaratne Dilshan 1-0-6-0

India second innings (following on):

Gautam Gambhir c Prasanna b Malinga 0

Virender Sehwag c Mahela b Welegedara 31

R Dravid batting 12

Sachin Tendulkar batting 21

Extras (lb 1, nb 3) 4

Total (for two wickets in 21 overs) 68

Fall of wickets: 1-0 (Gambhir, 0.3 ov), 2-42 (Sehwag, 10.3 ov)

Bowling:

Lasith Malinga 5-1-18-1 (2nb)

Chanaka Welegedara 6-1-26-1 (1nb)

Ragana Herath 5-0-10-0

Angelo Mathews 2-1-2-0

Muttiah Muralitharan 2-0-11-0

Umpires: Daryl Harper (Australia) and Rod Tucker (Australia)

TV umpire: Tyron Wijewardene

Match referee: Andy Pycroft (Zimbabwe)


Source: Web Search

Hockey sex scandal: coach withdraws, videographer sacked

Published>Wed, Jul 21 10 03:57 PM

Rattled by allegations of sexual harassment, Indian women's hockey coach MK Kaushik on Wednesday withdrew from the team's upcoming tours even as Hockey India sacked the videographer Basavraj whose photographs with a prostitute plunged the game into a moral crisis.

Kaushik has withdrawn himself from the Asian Champions Trophy in Korea from July 27 pending an inquiry into the sex scandal by a four-member panel comprising Rajiv Mehta (chairman), former players Zafar Iqbal and Ajit Pal Singh and Sudharsan Pathak.

"I must talk to the coach and the girl who has made the allegations of sexual harassment separately. Kaushik has withdrawn his name because he wants his name to be cleared," HI President Vidya Stokes said.

"In the meanwhile, the assistant coach will travel with the team. Hopefully, everything would be sorted out by today," she said.

"We will have to look for a new coach and that would be done after consulting the Sports Authority of India," added HI's Secretary General Narinder Batra.

HI will also form a five-member committee as per Supreme Court guidelines on sexual harassment cases.

"As per the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court, we will have a panel in which at least half or more than half the members would be women. This would be done by tomorrow and hopefully it would give its recommendations before next month's World Cup in Argentina so that we can either have a new coach or reinstate Kaushik if he is found innocent," Batra said.

Batra said he received an anonymous mail on last Friday, in which allegations had been levelled against Basavraj for having been involved with prostitutes during the tours of Canada and China.

He said five photographs of the videographer with the prostitutes had also been mailed to him. Batra said the Sport Ministry has been apprised of the complaints.

"The inquiry committee was constituted soon after I got a mail from the hockey team. After a meeting on July 19, it was decided that the videographer should be suspended and the rest of staff against whom the allegations have been made should be issued notices," he said.

"The videographer is basically a SAI employee and it is upto them now, how they want to act against him. On our part we have sacked him," Batra said.

Asked what punishment HI would hand out to the coaching staff if found guilty, Batra said, "The best we can do is impose life bans but if we can take up the matter with the police and take it to the logical conclusion, we can do that as well."

Kaushik will attend the probe panel's meeting this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the defunct Indian Hockey Federation chief KPS Gill said HI was trying to hush up the matter.

"There should be a proper police inquiry into it. The Supreme Court has stated that whenever a lady makes a sexual harassment allegations, her complaint should be taken on face value," he said.

"This inquiry is an eyewash. It should be handed over to the police. I know these people, at the end of the inquiry they will come out and say, nothing happened," he alleged.

It's a conspiracy against me: Kaushik

Stunned by allegations of sexual harassment against him, Indian women's hockey coach M K Kaushik said the scandal is a conspiracy hatched by players who failed to get a place in the national side.

"This is a big-time conspiracy against me with many hands behind it. Those who failed to earn a place in the national team have come out with such a cheap act," Kaushik said.

Kaushik has withdrawn from the Asian Champions Trophy in South Korea from July 27, insisting that it was his moral duty to step aside until proven innocent.

"I will prove my innocence. I can't believe that one can go to such an extent to level charges against me," he said.


Source: Web Search

Kapil to bring Indian migrant''s ashes from Australia

Wed, Jul 21 10 03:53 PM

Melbourne, Jul 21 (PTI) Legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev is all set to fulfill the last wish of an Indian migrant to Australia who died more than six decades ago. Kapil will land in Australia this weekend to collect the ashes of one Pooran Singh and take them to India for immersion. Kapil will also attend a ceremony organised by the Victorian Sikh Community this Sunday to collect the ashes. Pooran, who migrated to Australia 111 years ago, had wished that his ashes be immersed in River Ganges. Alice Guyett-Wood, owner of the funeral company which took care of the ashes for the last 63 years, said, "it is fantastic and an emotional moment for us to have his last wish fulfilled." Pooran was cremated in June 1947 with his relatives in India being notified of his death by telegram. Ever since, Singh''s ashes have been kept safe by an Australian family funeral company Guyett''s Funerals in Warrnambool. Although no one has come forward to collect the ashes, they have been preserved for their final journey to India and accorded pride of place at the Warrnambool cemetery. Pooran was 30 when he left India and landed on Australian soil in 1899. He worked as a hawker, selling goods laden in his horse-drawn cart, travelling from one country town to the other. He had left his family behind in Punjab and spent the remaining 47 years of his life in Victoria. He died in 1947 at the age of 77. Pooran had instructed that he be cremated and not buried. His body was sent to this city as it had the only crematorium in Victoria at that time. Alice told PTI the ashes were passed from generation to generation and she and her brother took care of them after her father Jack Guyett died in 1986. "We didn''t have the authority to dispose them off, so we just held them. We were not able to locate his relatives," she said. She said the wagon used by Pooran for selling goods is now showcased in Flagstaff Hill. Pooran''s Warrnambool base was a farm owned by John and Vera Moore known as Glenmore. Moore was one of the executors of his will, ensuring that his estate was distributed to a few Warrnambool residents and to his four nephews in India. His son John Moore is the fourth generation of the family to own the property today. Moore had kept the wagon at his property in Glenmore before donating it to Maritime Museum.


Source: Published>

South Korea appoint Cho as new soccer coach

Wed, Jul 21 10 03:47 PM

Cho Kwang-rae has been appointed coach of the South Korean national soccer team, the Korean Football Association (KFA) said on Wednesday.

Gyeongnam FC boss Cho replaces Huh Jung-moo, who stepped down after guiding the Asian side to the second round of the World Cup finals in South Africa last month.

"We had been looking into two or three candidates, including Cho, and the technical panel unanimously opted to select Cho as the next national team coach," chairman of the KFA's technical committee Lee Hoi-taek told the Yonhap News agency.

"Cho is enterprising and always trying to catch new trends of world football like England, Germany, Italy and Brazil."

The former South Korean midfielder's first match in charge will be the home friendly against Nigeria on Aug. 11.

"It's a great honour to be the national team coach," Cho, 56, said.

"I'm not scared of taking the helm of the national team. I've been working hard to be a good leader. I want to make a team that will bring joy to the Korean people."

Cho's first major task will be to win the Asian Cup in Qatar, which begins in January.

The twice champions have been drawn with Australia, Bahrain and India in Group C of the 16-team tournament.


Source: Published>


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars