Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ponting's decision to bat 'shocking': Umar Gul

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 02:07 PM

Leeds (UK), July 22 (ANI): Pakistan fast bowler Umar Gul has described Ricky Ponting's decision to bat first in the second Test at Headingley as "shocking" after the Australia recorded their second lowest Test total against Pakistan.

stralia's batsmen were left humiliated as they scrambled to 88 all out in 33.1 overs, just eight runs more than the previous lowest mark set in Karachi in 1956.

Teenage left-armer Mohammad Aamer and Mohammad Asif claimed three wickets apiece while Gul chipped in with two of his own as Australia failed to deal with the swinging ball under cloudy skies. There was moisture under the wicket. So, I think it was a shocking decision, especially for Australia," The Telegraph quoted Gul, as saying.I don't know what the captain and coach's decision was going to be but if we won the toss we (the Pakistan bowlers) were ready to bowl first," he added.

Australia's bowlers failed to find the same sort of movement in the air to match Pakistan's threat, and Gul believes it was simply because his team-mates bowled better.

"It was a good day for us. The bowlers did very well. Aamer, Asif and myself did very well as we planned before the game," he said. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Hamilton revved up to race on his favourite tracks

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 02:01 PM

London, Jul 22 (ANI): Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton, who leads the championship by 12 points, is revved up for two of his favourite tracks, starting with Hockenheim this Sunday and the Hungaroring a week later.

The McLaren driver and teammate Jenson Button finished behind Vettel at the European Grand Prix on June 27, the same day Germany beat England in the World Cup, The Sun reports.

"The next two races are very good for me. Every driver has his favourite tracks and I've always been very quick in Germany and Hungary. My aim is to collect another 50 points before the summer break in August," Hamilton said.

"I won the last race at Hockenheim in 2008. That was one of my best Formula One victories because I charged from fifth to first in the closing stages of the race after making a late pit stop," he said.

"I overtook my team-mate Heikki Kovalainen and Felipe Massa's Ferrari and I crossed the line more than five seconds in front, which felt very special.

"I've also won two out of three races at the Hungaroring and I could have made it a clean sweep last year had I not had a puncture. So I'm really looking forward to that race as well," Hamilton added.

Vettel, 24 points behind Hamilton, is relying on home comforts to boost him aheah of the race.

He said: "Hockenheim is only half an hour from my home town so I get to see family and friends as they are very close. It's definitely something special, so I don't feel pressure from it. It adds an extra bit of motivation and then hopefully you find this extra 10th of a second around the track." (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Beckham persuaded Henry to join US soccer league

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 01:53 PM

London, Jul 22 (ANI): Ace French striker Thierry Henry has admitted that he was persuaded to join New York Red Bulls by David Beckham.

Ex-Arsenal striker Henry's first game since leaving Barcelona will be against his old rivals Spurs tomorrow.

"I did approach David about my move. He did not say anything negative about the MLS and told me he enjoys everything in the game here," The Sun quoted Henry, as saying.

"I respect Becks. He has been a great guy to me. He encouraged me to play here," he added.

Henry comes face to face with Robbie Keane for the first time since the infamous Hand of Frog goal that cheated Ireland out of a World Cup place.

Keane insisted: "It's done, finished. There is no more to say on it. Henry will do well in the MLS. He's a big occasion player." (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Vettel believes he has the edge at German Grand Prix

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 01:37 PM

London, July 22 (ANI): Twenty-three-year-old Sebastian Vettel believes his familiarity with the Hockenheim track gives him the edge at the German Grand Prix this weekend.

Vettel trails World Championship leader Lewis Hamilton by 24 points heading into the race.

The Sun quoted Vettel, as saying: "Hockenheim is only half an hour from my home town. It's definitely something special, so I don't feel pressure from it. It adds an extra bit of motivation and then hopefully you find this extra tenth of a second going around the track."

"So I am really looking forward to it, and with six Germans in Formula One now, it's good to go to Germany.I remember seeing the cars going around the track as a kid. I went once with my father to see a free practice of Formula One in 1993 or 1994," he added. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Brit Asian boxer Amir Khan angry at seven-month ring lay-off

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 01:17 PM

London, July 22(ANI): WBA Light Welterweight Brit Asian champ Amir Khan has revealed his anger at being forced into a seven-month ring lay-off.

Khan last fought when he stopped Paulie Malignaggi in May, and is now due to meet Juan Manuel Marquez or Juan Diaz on December 11.

"It is a long break and my team thought it best for me, but I am a born fighter and don't want time off," The Sun quoted Khan, as saying.

"I don't think it will happen again. Hopefully we will learn and not stay out of the game so long," he added.

Khan will be in Las Vegas to watch Marquez defend his WBO lightweight crown against Diaz on July 31. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

'Bressie is my heir in England squad,' says Flintoff

Published>Thu, Jul 22 10 01:07 PM

London, July 22 (ANI): Andrew Flintoff has named Tim Bresnan as his natural all-rounder heir in England's Test side.

With the Yorkshireman part of a five-man bowling attack, Flintoff believes Andrew Strauss' men are hot favourites for Ashes glory this winter.

Aussie legend Ian Chappell had suggested England talk Flintoff about a Test return this winter to balance the side and 'sort Ricky Ponting out', but Freddie insists it is Bresnan the selectors should look to against Australia.

"I know Ian Chappell said that, and I respect him, but he hasn't seen my knees has he! I finished at the Oval last year and that's it. The England side have moved forward too. You have the likes of Tim Bresnan in the side now who I think will be a fine Test cricketer," The Sun quoted Flintoff, as saying.

"I've watched Bressie for a number of years and his bowling has never been a problem. But now his batting is improving out of sight. I think he's the next all-rounder. I know people said that about Broady, but he's made his intentions clear he want to be a bowler," Flintoff added.(ANI)


Source: Web Search

'Kaushik made comments on our physiques'

Thu, Jul 22 10 12:57 PM

Mumbai, July 22 -- Emboldened by the allegations of sexual harassment levelled by Th Ranjitha against chief coach, MK Kaushik, former India players have come out in support of the current bunch. Former captain Sanggai Chanu told HT on Wednesday that some senior players had confronted Kaushik in 2006 over his alleged relationship with the team's then lady manager. Chanu also claimed that Helen Mary, who was captain at that time, had raised the issue with the Indian Women's Hockey Federation (IWHF) after which Chanu and Mary were dropped for the Asian Games. Chanu said senior team members had discussed the matter following complaints from players who had caught Kaushik and the manager in a compromising position. "The junior players complained to us. It was embarrassing to see their behaviour and some senior players made it clear that such behaviour was not appropriate. Helen Mary even spoke to the federation officials. The manager came with us for the World Cup but she was dropped for the Asian Games in 2006. I was dropped and Helen Mary too was never called up," Chanu told HT. Another former India player from Haryana, now settled abroad, claimed Kaushik made inappropriate and vulgar comments about the girls to fellow coaches. "We got to know from others that he was making inappropriate remarks about the players' physique. But we could not do much as senior federation officials were protecting him. Besides, we were afraid that we would not be picked again," she said. The former player claimed the alleged relationship between Kaushik and the manager was first reported by players after the Junior World Cup in Chile. Both players however said Kaushik never touched a player in their presence. Kaushik termed the allegations made in the letter and by the players as ridiculous and claimed he was ready to face a probe. Though former IWHF secretary, Amrit Bose, denied the federation had received a complaint against Kaushik, Mary said a selector too had complained against the coach.

A senior IWHF officer, from Uttar Pradesh and a former manager, said Mary's complaint was not looked into as Kaushik had pulled her up for frequently seeking leave from the camp to be with her husband and family.


Source: Published>


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars