Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bridge withdraws from England selection

Published>Thu, Feb 25 10 07:25 PM

Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge has made himself unavailable for selection by England and will not go to the World Cup finals, he said in a statement on Thursday.

His decision comes in the wake of media allegations that John Terry, his former Chelsea team mate who is also in the England squad, had an extra-marital affair with Bridge's former girlfriend.

Bridge was a club mate of Terry's at Chelsea before joining Manchester City last year.

Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy as a result of the publicity surrounding the matter, and on Thursday, Bridge, who has played for England 36 times, said he no longer wanted to be considered for the national squad.

In the statement, issued to Sky Sports News, Bridge said: "I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting of the events over the last few weeks.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

"Sadly therefore, I feel, for the sake of the team, and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

"I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa."

His decision leaves England coach Fabio Capello with a problem at left-back as Ashley Cole, another former Chelsea team mate, is out until May at the earliest with a broken ankle and may not be fit for the World Cup finals in South Africa which start on June 11.

Bridge and Terry are due to meet on the pitch for the first time since details of the alleged affair were made public when Manchester City visit Chelsea on Saturday.


Source: Web Search

Chelsea and Arsenal look to boost title challenges

Published>Thu, Feb 25 10 06:15 PM

London, Feb 25 (DPA) Leaders Chelsea and challengers Arsenal will be out to take advantage of the absence of a match for Manchester United this weekend as the Premier League title race continues to hot up.

With United taking on Aston Villa in the Carling Cup final Sunday, victory for Chelsea would restore their four-point lead over United at the top while Arsenal could close to within two points of the champions in third if they can take maximum points at Stoke City.

Chelsea go into their meeting with fifth-placed Manchester City on Saturday lunchtime on the back of a defeat at Inter Milan in the Champions League.

More worryingly for manager Carlo Ancelotti, he could be without his first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech, who suffered a leg injury in Milan.

'We don't know now (how bad it is),' the Italian said. 'We have to wait some days and we have to do a check control on his calf. 'I don't know (if he will be fit to play against City). We don't know, we have to wait.'

Back-to-back home wins have restored Arsenal's belief that they can still win the title, partly because they have a game in hand on United, but more because they do not have to play any of the big sides in their remaining matches.

Veteran defender Sol Campbell, who returned to the club just last month, could play his fourth match if William Gallas does not recover from a calf injury in time for the visit to Stoke.

The 35-year-old, who won the Double with Arsenal in 1998, believes the Londoners are still very much in the title race.

Arsenal have lost on their last two visits to Stoke but if they win this weekend they will be breathing down the necks of United. 'It's simple, we have to win as many games as possible,' Campbell said.

'Other teams at the top will be playing each other, so we just have to look after ourselves and make sure we're firing on all cylinders. Whoever plays must give it everything they've got in these remaining games, and see where it takes us.'

Liverpool will be waiting to take advantage of any slip-up by Manchester City to boost their bid for fourth spot and the last Champions League berth.

Rafael Benitez's side take on Blackburn Rovers at Anfield Sunday in the first of three consecutive very winnable games and victory would also put the pressure onto the current fourth-placed team, Tottenham Hotspur, who welcome in-form Everton on the same day.

Bottom side Portsmouth, facing the prospect of going into administration - which would result in a 10-point penalty and almost certain relegation - are away to fellow strugglers Burnley.

Bolton Wanderers, the other side in the bottom three, host Wolverhampton Wanderers, while Birmingham play Wigan and Sunderland take on Fulham in the weekend's other match.


Source: Web Search

Former football Olympians from AP fire salvo at AIFF

Published Thu, Feb 25 10 06:06 PM

Hyderabad, Feb 25 (PTI) Former football Olympians from Andhra Pradesh have protested the appointment of AIFF executive member C R Visswanathan to resolve a dispute between two factions and alleged that he was running an "illegal" show in the state. In a letter to the AIFF, the former footballers have demanded to call back Visswanathan, who was sent by the national federation to resolve the dispute between two factions of Andhra Pradesh Football Association (APFA). They alleged that Visswanathan has been conducting activities, including selection of teams, which they said was outside the ambit of his job. The Andhra Pradesh Football Olympian, International and National and Veterans Association has sent a letter signed by former Olympians M Zulfikaruddin, S H H Hamid, S S Hakeem and M Habib among others and requested the AIFF to withdraw the activities of Visswanathan. Former India players Mohammad Akbar, Syed Lateef Uddin have also questioned the activity of Visswanathan and requested AIFF to look into the matter. "He has formed a committee in the name of AIFF AP Football Revival Committee Office at Gymkhana Football Grounds in Secunderabad. He is conducting trials and selecting the teams in U-14, 16, 19 and 21 age groups," Anis-ul-Mulk secretary of APFA, headed by T G Venkatesh, wrote in a letter to AIFF president Praful Patel. .


Source: Web Search

260-plus would be a good score: Motera curator

Published Thu, Feb 25 10 05:51 PM

S S Ramaswamy Ahmedabad, Feb 25 (PTI) Unlike the feather-beds in Jaipur and Gwalior, the pitch at Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium at Motera here, venue of the inconsequential third and final ODI between India and South Africa on Saturday, may have something for the bowlers with 260 the par score, the curator said today. "I expect it to be a good one-day wicket though I can give you a clearer picture only tomorrow as the process of preparing it is still on. There''s not going to be much grass and a score of 250-260 would be a good total," Test cricketer-turned-pitch curator Dhiraj Parsana told PTI. India made 298 for nine and 401 for three in the first two ODIs while the Proteas have replied with 297 and 248 respectively. Dew is expected to play a significant role in the contest that has become only of academic interest after India''s comprehensive victory in the second ODI at Gwalior last night. "Over the last two days the dew fall has been quite heavy because of clear skies and little wind. If it''s windy it drives away the dew. But we are prepared to counter it with the use of chemicals on the outfield from 7 pm on match day. We are also stopping watering of the outfield from today," Parsana elaborated. Dew factor was nullified by Sachin Tendulkar''s extraordinary and record-setting 200 not out at Gwalior though it was evident that the hosts, bowling second, were struggling to keep the ball dry due to the wet outfield. .


Source: Web Search

Benitez backs Gerrard for England captaincy

Published>Thu, Feb 25 10 05:45 PM

London, Feb 25(ANI): Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez reckons if striker Steven Gerrard is handed over the England captaincy for this summer's World Cup, he can lap up the challenge and achieve greater heights.

Regular captain John Terry was stripped of the responsibility earlier this month following allegations over his private life and replacement Rio Ferdinand is struggling with a back injury.

Vice-captain Gerrard is set to take the armband for his country from injured Ferdinand in next week's friendly against Egypt, and could be in the frame to lead his country with doubts continuing over Ferdinand's fitness.

"I think captaining England will be good for his confidence and could also have a good effect on him," The Sun quoted Benitez, as saying.

"We know he is important for us, and also important for England. I think he has to take the responsibility as a positive sign," he added.

The 29-year-old made his international debut in 2000, and represented England in the UEFA European Championships in 2000 and 2004 as well as the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he was the team's top goalscorer with two goals. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Ashley Cole refuses to talk about Cheryl betrayal

Published>Thu, Feb 25 10 05:35 PM

London, Feb 25 (ANI): English footballer Ashley Cole has refused to divulge any information related to his betraying his wife Cheryl.

The left-back Chelsea player, who is currently having treatment for his broken ankle at a clinic in Capbreton, a seaside town near Biarritz, dodged questions about how he could betray the Girls Aloud member.

"I just can't talk about that," the Sun quoted Cole, 29, who is at the clinic with team-mate Michael Essien and physio Thierry Laurent, as saying.

He tried to hide behind an exercise machine, and wearing a supportive sandal on his injured foot, he hobbled away on crutches after refusing to comment further.

"Ashley is in another world. He's trying to get on with his rehab but his mind is clearly elsewhere," a source said.

"His ankle is painful but it's nothing compared to what he's going through with Cheryl," the source added. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Benitez backs Gerrard for England captaincy

Published>Thu, Feb 25 10 05:25 PM

London, Feb 25(ANI): Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez reckons if striker Steven Gerrard is handed over the England captaincy for this summer's World Cup, he can lap up the challenge and achieve greater heights.

Regular captain John Terry was stripped of the responsibility earlier this month following allegations over his private life and replacement Rio Ferdinand is struggling with a back injury.

Vice-captain Gerrard is set to take the armband for his country from injured Ferdinand in next week's friendly against Egypt, and could be in the frame to lead his country with doubts continuing over Ferdinand's fitness.

"I think captaining England will be good for his confidence and could also have a good effect on him," The Sun quoted Benitez, as saying.

"We know he is important for us, and also important for England. I think he has to take the responsibility as a positive sign," he added.

The 29-year-old made his international debut in 2000, and represented England in the UEFA European Championships in 2000 and 2004 as well as the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he was the team's top goalscorer with two goals. (ANI)


Source: Web Search


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars