Thursday, August 5, 2010

India suffer first defeat in Portugal training tour

Fri, Aug 06 10 12:27 PM

New Delhi, Aug 6 (PTI) Indian national football team succumbed to its first defeat during the ongoing two-month training tour of Portugal after it went down 0-1 to a local third division side Sintrense in the fourth practice match at Lisbon. Bob Houghton''s boys conceded the only goal of the match in the 40th minute and were unable to find an equaliser thereafter at the Sporting Clube Academy training ground at Lisbon yesterday. Once again Houghton started with Abhishek Yadav and Mohammed Rafi as the two strikers up front but the duo found it difficult to get going and were also let down by the midfield. Like previous three games, Houghton made several changes at the breather with as many as nine substitutions taking place. Goalkeeper Subrata Paul and winger Clifford Miranda were the only two players to complete the 90 minutes. After the change of ends, India came out attacking in search of an equaliser but failed to find the back of the rival net. The visitor''s best effort came in the 65th minute through Baljit Sahni, whose powerful shot rattled the crossbar. India had earlier beaten Portuguese third division sides Desportivo das Caldas (4-1) and Desportivo Monsanto (6-2) in their first two practice matches during the first half of their tour at Vieria de Leiria, a small town between Lisbon and Porto. The Indians then shifted their base to the training centre of the Sporting Clube Academy from August 1 for another another one-month training. They started the second phase of their training tour on a positive note, beating Portuguese second division side Atletico Clube 1-0 in their third practice game. The Indian squad will be strengthened by the return of captain Bhaichung Bhutia, who will be back after treating his thyroid problem in Kolkata, and Sunil Chhetri who has been released by his Major League Soccer club Kanasas City Wizards. PTI SSC


Source: Published>

Father evasive on Jwala Gutta divorce

Published>Fri, Aug 06 10 12:17 PM

Leading badminton player of 'mixed doubles' Jwala Gutta, who has kept the grapevine buzzing with her alleged link-up with former cricket skipper Mohammed Azharuddin, will reportedly file for divorce from her husband Chetan Anand - another top badminton player in the 'singles' category.

Jwala's father Kranti Gutta told Indian Express Online: "I am neither confirming nor denying the news. Chetan is playing a tournament in Lucknow at the moment and I would not like to comment on this now. Let him finish the tournament and then they will make an announcement on what is going on."

The 26-year-old shuttler is among the top ten doubles players in the world. Her husband Chetan is not much behind either - at the 13th slot in world rankings.

The rumours about Jwala's dalliance with the former cricketer-turned-politician started soon after he stood for the post of president of the Badminton Association of India. He often visited the courts where she trained, sources said. Azhar's bid for the top post was, however, aborted as he backed out before the election.

It is understood Azhar's wife of 14 years Sangeeta Bijlani, for whom he left his first wife, has moved out of the family home and shifted base to Mumbai.

Repeated calls to Jwala Gutta elicited no response.


Source: Web Search

Lampard laments 'bad timing' of friendly against Hungary ahead of PL kickoff

Published>Fri, Aug 06 10 12:07 PM

London, Aug 6(ANI): England and Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard insists that next Wednesday's friendly against Hungary is an unwanted distraction just three days before the Premier League kick-off.

Lampard acknowledged that the friendly is important as England begin preparations for the 2012 European Championships qualification campaign, but said that the timing was not convenient for clubs.

"It's obviously not an ideal situation. I've only been back in pre-season training for a week and a half and a lot of clubs are having the same problems with their World Cup players," The Sun quoted Lampard, as saying.

"All the teams want to get players fit for the start of the season, but England also need to prepare for the European Championship qualifying games."

"Right now I'm just excited to be back at Chelsea, but the Hungary match has always been there on the calendar so as a professional playing for your country you go and you play," he added.

Chelsea will play West Brom in the Premier League opener on August 14. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Hockey gets a penalty Stokes: 83-year-old takes the hot seat

Fri, Aug 06 10 11:47 AM

New Delhi, Aug. 5 -- Hockey India successfully conducted its elections in the capital on Thursday. Not allowed to officially announce the results as per Supreme Court directives, it was learnt that 83-year-old Vidya Stokes of Hockey Himachal thumped her opponent in former national player Pargat Singh (Hockey Punjab) by a margin of 41 votes to 21 for the post of president. This despite strict government guidelines barring candidates above the age of 70 to contest for posts in national federations. Stokes will, however remain the interim President till the apex court gives its final verdict. A detailed hearing is scheduled for August 19. Stokes's candidature was under a cloud of controversy due to herexceeding stipulated age-limit by as many as 13 years. Her nomination was only accepted after HI secretary general Narinder Batra clarified out rightly that the interim body, registered under the Societies Act, was not obligated to follow government guidelines. Batra had further said that HI did not require government assistance or funding, a claim that was challenged by 45-year-old Pargat vehemently. This eventually led to HI being de-recognised by the sports ministry late on Thursday (see box). The result itself though brought a smile in the Stokes camp. "It's a great opportunity for me. Hockey needs 'upliftment' in the country and people have chosen me for my honesty and hard work during my association with Women Hockey in India," Stokes told HT after the polls. Interestingly Stokes, whose association with hockey dates back to the late 80's, has had ample opportunities before, to 'uplift' the national sport and yet it remains in shambles for various off-field reasons. Recently, some members of the women's national team rebelled against Stokes over payment of monitory dues. Her role as the President of the interim body, in the hockey sex scandal that broke out last month was only that of a de-jure authority. Under such prevailing conditions, Olympian Pargat Singh challenged her authority in the body. The 45-year-old ex-fullback and Arjuna awardee was responsible for uniting different factions of hockey under the banner of Hockey Punjab, not surprising as he has been an open critic of hockey administration and administrators in the country. On Thursday though, Pargat was evidently disappointed. "I will take the result in my stride. But there has been a lot of groupism that has existed, which I targeted. It is likely to go on now, and so will my fight against it," he said. And a fight it will be as almost all the big winners in the poll belong to Stokes's faction. Narinder Batra (Hockey Jammu & Kashmir) defeated Gunjum Haider (Hockey Andhra) by 27 votes to retain his post as secretary general while Haider, who was running for the post of treasurer as well, lost out to Mushtaque Ahmed (Hockey Bihar) 45 votes to 17. Thankfully though, these members are well within the age limit and are more likely to contribute effectively before they reach theirsunset years. Panel to probe sexual harassment charges In the wake of charges of sexual harassment in the women's hockey team, the Sports Ministry formed a five-member committee, headed by director Sarada Ali Khan, to investigate the charges levelled against former coach Maharaj Krishan Kaushik. Director Deepika Kachhal will work in the committee as the special counsellor. The committee also includes deputy secretary Thanglemlian and private secretary Padma

Bulbul Das, advocate and member in-charge law and legislation, is also in the committee along with Delhi Commission for Women member Yasmin Khan.


Source: Published>

Button eyeing another podium finish in London triathlon

Published>Fri, Aug 06 10 11:45 AM

London, Aug 6(ANI): Reigning Formula One champion Jenson Button is looking forward to get back on the podium at this weekend's Challenger World London Triathlon.

Button is participating in the event in which he had finished second in his age group last year.

"I've been competing in triathlon for a few years now to keep me in shape for driving," The Sun quoted Button, as saying.

"I enjoy the pain, the training. It's very peaceful - like it is in the car," he added.

The 30-year-old will join Olympic Gold medallist Rebecca Romero and star athlete Cassie Patton in the race.he Olympic distance is a 1500metre swim, 40kilometre bike ride and 10kilometre run.

Button had finished the race last year in an incredible 2hours and seven minutes, with pro athletes coming in just under two hours.

"I was very happy with the second place last year in my category, but I guess that means I will have to win this time," Button said.Nothing like putting pressure on yourself is there?" he added. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

Noria wins gold, equals record

Fri, Aug 06 10 11:21 AM

Chandigarh, Aug. 6 -- After Gagan Narang became the first Indian athlete to grab an Olympic quota for the 2012 London Olympics, his bronze in the ongoing 50th World Championship at Munich, fellow shooter Asher Noria equalled the junior world record to clinch the junior double trap title at the Championship on Thursday. The 17-year-old from Hyderabad equalled the six-year-old record of Maltese William Chetcuti (146/150) to finish atop the podium. Noria shot rounds of 49, 49 and 48. Alessandro Chianese (141) of Italy and American Ian Rupert (138) won silver and bronze, respectively.

Sodhi finished 17th in the overall standings after shooting a score of 139 (42, 48, 49).


Source: Published>

Top contenders get zilch

Fri, Aug 06 10 11:17 AM

New Delhi, Aug. 6 -- Three years ago, the Union Cabinet sanctioned an amount of Rs 21 crore to help prepare India's tennis challenge in the Commonwealth Games. Out of this amount, India's leading Grand Slam winner Leander Paes has got zilch, the other veteran player Mahesh Bhupathi has got all of Rs 27,000 and Rohan Bopanna and Somdev Devvarman - our main singles players - have got nothing. A total of 5.21 crore has been paid out by the Sports Ministry so far and this money has largely gone towards salaries of some coaches and other personnel far removed from the top players. "I have been submitting my plane tickets, hotel bills and other expense details to the AITA (All India Tennis Association for years). There is just no money flowing back," says Bhupathi. "I have now got a mail to submit last year's Wimbledon bills again. I am ignoring it for I already sent them before." Bhupathi has actually got one of his employees looking after all the correspondence required to claim his money. "I have got no money at all from this scheme and I am not wasting my time thinking about it anymore," says Paes. Meanwhile the AITA and the Sports Ministry are busy playing ping-pong. The federation's secretary, Anil Khanna, says, "We are concerned that our elite players have not got the support money they deserve. The ones who will get us medals are the ones who need to benefit from this scheme." Rahul Bhatnagar of the Sports Ministry has his own take: "We have not got a single bill pending with us. We have been telling AITA again and again that they have to submit the basic documents before government money can be released, while they want us to give lump sums without any papers." The Ministry prefers that tickets be booked through Balmer Lawrie and Co - the government travel agency. Tennis players hop around the globe and their precise itinerary depends upon how long they last in a tournament. They can't book tickets in advance. The bureaucrats want hotel and food bills before sanctioning the allotted $100 to 125 allowance for a total of 75 days of international competition that rules allow for. Our tennis players are abroad competing for over 200 days and wonder why they can't be reimbursed even for their coaching bills which are the easiest to process. "If the top four men players and Sania Mirza do not benefit under present rules, it's only correct that the Ministry should adjust its rules keeping in mind the needs of tennis," asserts Khanna. "There are fundamental financial rules in dealing with government money. They can't be changed. AITA has to be more active in this and help its players," rebuts Bhatnagar. "For years I have been hearing the Ministry say that tennis players are rich and don't need money. They can't be expected to accommodate our needs. Of course, when they need medals, they always come looking for us," says Bhupathi.

Everybody is busy playing file-file and somewhere the rightful money of the players is draining down that hole.


Source: Published>


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars