Friday, October 8, 2010

CWG wrestling: Indian women win two golds, one silver

Published>Fri, Oct 08 10 09:07 PM

New Delhi, Oct 8 (IANS) Adding to India's glory in the Commonwealth Games, women wrestlers Alka Tomer and Anita won gold medals in freestyle wrestling amidst cries of 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai' in the jam-packed KD Yadav wrestling stadium in the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex here Friday.

Tomar won the gold in the 59kg category defeating Canadian Tonya Verbeek 3-2. Anita made it two in a row winning the 67kg category 4-1. Her opponent was also a Canadian, Megan Buydens.

In all, India have three golds, two silvers and one bronze in freestyle women wrestling, an event that debuted at the Delhi Games.

Tomar said she was nervous performing in front of her relatives and friends.

'I have no words to express my happiness. Today I have accomplished my goal for which I have been working very hard for the last two years. The environment in the stadium was thrilling and it's good to see that we have so many fans,' said Tomar.

'I was under pressure during the final match. My family members and relatives were sitting before me and I did not want to disappoint them.'

Tomar had earlier won a bronze medal at 2006 World Championships and gold at 2005 Commonwealth Championships.

The bronze medal in the 59kg category was won by Nigerian wrestler Tega Tosin Richard who defeated Louisa Bernadette Salmon of England, 5-0.

Anita, who had also won bronze medal at the 2005 Commonwealth Championships, called it the best performance till date.

'I am very happy, this is the best performance of my wrestling career. Earlier, I had won bronze medal in the Asian Championship. Today, I only followed the basics that my coach has taught me and attacked the Canadian wrestler whenever she went on the back-foot.

'Wrestling is one of the most popular sport in India and I am confident that it will be included in Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014,' said Anita, who hails from Dhanimahu village in Bhiwani district and is posted as head constable in Haryana police.

Nigerian grappler I. Iheanacho, who had beaten MC Manus of Scotland 7-0, won the bronze in the 67kg category.

In the 51kg category, Indian wrestler Babita Kumari, who was a strong contender for gold, had to rest content with a silver. Her sister Geeta had won gold in the 55kg freestyle Thursday.

Babita was outclassed by Nigerian wrestler Ifeoma Christiana Nwoye 7-4.

'I lost because of my own mistake. I would work hard in future,' said Babita struggling to hold back her tears.

Canadian wrestler Jessica Macdonald won bronze.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars