Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Brit boxing champ's brother to fight for Pak, but heart still with Britain

Published>Thu, May 13 10 12:07 PM

London, May 13 (ANI): British boxing champion Amir Khan's younger brother is all set to represent Pakistan at the 2010 Commonwealth Games at Delhi after claiming that he is being snubbed by Team Great Britain.

Haroon 'Harry' Khan, who won the junior ABA's title last year in bantamweight category, said he would prefer to follow his older brother and wear a Great Britain vest when the Commonwealth Games are staged in New Delhi.

But so far the 19-year-old has been overlooked by the GB senior squad and is ready to take up Pakistan on their offer to join them.

"I really wanted to box for Britain at the Olympics ever since Amir won silver in Athens. I looked at what he did and dreamed of going one better, The Sun quoted Haroon, as saying.

"But I've never had a look-in with the senior England squad, not even a letter. What used to happen was they would call me up a week before an international and ask if I could box, but I knew it was only because someone had pulled out and they never really wanted me," Haroon said.

"I'd have liked to have fought for Britain at the 2012 Olympics, but that isn't going to happen. I've spoken to a lot of English boxers and they said if they were me, they would go for it.

"When I went over to Pakistan, they were offering me a house and a car and a driver, if I wanted to stay there," Haroon said.

Amir Khan was launched to stardom when he won the silver medal at the Athens Olympic Games, losing to famed Cuban Mario Kindelan in the final.

Brother Haroon wants to perform at the Commonwealth Games, but insists that he won't represent another country at the 2012 Olympics in London.

"Whatever happens, I couldn't see myself fighting for Pakistan at the 2012 Olympics in London. That just wouldn't feel right. If all goes well, I will turn pro after the Commonwealth Games," he said. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars