Friday, May 21, 2010

My Test career is over: Afridi

Published Fri, May 21 10 10:21 PM

Karachi, May 21 (PTI) Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi today made it clear that his Test career is over and will now concentrate only in one-day and Twenty20 cricket which he said is more suited to his attacking style. Afridi, who is tipped to be named next week as captain of the one-day side for the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, ruled himself unavailable for Pakistan''s six-match Test series in England this summer. "Some of my well wishers and supporters wanted me to return to Test cricket. But it''s the end of Test cricket for me and it''s my firm decision," Afridi said. "Now my focus is forthcoming Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, T20 and ODI series in England and next year''s World Cup," he told a state owned news agency. Afridi, who has not played a Test since 2006, conceded that his attacking style suited limited-over cricket more. "To be frank, Test cricket has its own demands and it doesn''t suit my style. I love to play in attacking manner and I get it from T20 and ODIs," Afridi said. Afridi, who led Pakistan to the final of just concluded Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies, is expected to be given the ODI captaincy when Pakistan Cricket Board and selectors meet next week in Lahore. Asked about next month''s Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, Afridi said, "It''s my dream to win this continental title for the country. It will be a good tournament." "We need some solid batsmen in the middle order which is our trouble area," he said. After the Asia Cup, Pakistan play four Twenty20 Internationals and five ODIs in England besides the six Tests. Afridi has made 1683 runs in 26 Tests at an average of 37.40 and taken 47 wickets at an average of 34.89. Meanwhile, experienced all-rounder Abdul Razzaq is still undecided about continuing to play Test cricket. "The last time I played was three years ago so I really don''t know but if the selectors feel I have a role to play in the Tests in England then I will give it a thought," Razzaq said. Razzaq, however, made it clear that he wanted to continue his limited over cricket career for Pakistan.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars