Monday, June 14, 2010

Early debut ruined my career: Nazir

Published Tue, Jun 15 10 11:26 AM

Karachi, Jun 15 (PTI) Discarded Pakistan opener Imran Nazir feels debuting internationally at a tender age of 17 damaged his career as he was neither technically sound nor mentally strong enough for the grind at that stage. Nazir was given his senior Pakistan cap at the age of 17 in 1999 in both Tests and one-dayers and he now rues that early induction into international cricket. "The truth is I was not ready for international cricket at time, my technique was faulty and I didn''t have the mental strength or understanding of the game," he said in an interview. "Now that I have began to understand how international cricket needs to be played I have been dropped from the national team," he said. Nazir, now 28, last appeared for Pakistan in Dubai in a Twenty20 series against England in February this year before being ignored for the Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies. "I am a more mature batsman now and if I get a chance to play again for Pakistan I will play in sensible fashion and cement my place in the team. I am ready to curb my natural instincts to play again for Pakistan," Nazir said. Nazir said when he made his debut in 1999, he only knew how to play the cut and pull shots properly. "But now after a lot of ups and downs in 11 years of international cricket I realise a batsman with limited range of shots cannot survive. Plus your shot selection has to be sensible you must have the patience to wait for the bad ball to hit not try a slog on every ball that I used to do previously," Nazir said. Nazir, who has played eight Tests, 79 one-dayers and 16 Twenty20 matches, said he was working hard on his batting. "I would say a player must be given time in domestic cricket before he is blooded in international cricket. Give him time to adjust and understand the game," he added.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars