Wednesday, June 2, 2010

NBA - What players are saying about the Lakers-Celtics rivalry

Published Thu, Jun 03 10 10:27 AM

The defending champion Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics square off in an NBA Finals, that featured the league's most storied franchises.

On the eve of Thursday's Game One at Staples Center in Los Angeles, the players spoke about the rivalry that has developed between two teams who have a combined 32 NBA titles.

* Lakers head coach Phil Jackson: "This is a rivalry that's embedded in the history of the NBA, and for us it's an opportunity that rarely comes to teams. It's an opportunity to play each other again in a series that is a couple of years later (after Boston won the 2008 title)."

* Celtics coach Doc Rivers: "All the players who participated (in 2008) obviously have that feeling of rivalry. I think the guys on both teams who didn't participate in 2008 probably have heard the talk and are probably more aware of it than the guys in 2008 were who hadn't been a part of it. But once the games start, then its own story will be written, and that's what we have to focus on."

* Celtics captain and forward Paul Pierce: "I'm soaking this all in. Being able to help continue the rivalry of the Celtics and Lakers for another year and knowing that when you go back and watch these tapes that I will be on them. It's indescribable. I don't think it's going to soak in until my career is all said and done."

* Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant: "I only think about this one matchup. The happy times of Magic (Johnson) winning against Boston or the sad times of Jerry West losing to them has no impact on me whatsoever. I have a series to play. I have a series to win. I'll just focus on that."

* Lakers forward Ron Artest: "This is my first year as a Laker, so I haven't had anything to do with that rivalry. But I guess after tomorrow after I play, I guess I'll be part of it. I know about (Larry) Bird and Magic (Johnson), but other than that, I was always a Chicago Bulls guy."

* Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo: "I'm just happy to be here. When the rivalry began I wasn't even born. So I'm still trying to catch up with it. But other than that, this is my second finals and this is the Lakers again, so I'm excited to be here playing the Lakers. I'm excited to be here playing anybody. I'm ready to go."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars