Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stosur cannot repeat Paris heroics at Wimbledon

Australia's Samantha Stosur reacts during her match against Estonia's Kaia Kanepi at the 2010 Wimbledon...

Published>Wed, Jun 23 10 03:57 AM

Wimbledon proved to be an unhappy hunting ground yet again for French Open runner-up Samantha Stosur as the Australian slumped to a 6-4 6-4 first-round defeat by Estonia's Kaia Kanepi on Tuesday.

On paper the sixth seed should have the game to do well on turf since she hails from the home of many Wimbledon champions, but the 26-year-old has never made it past the third round in seven previous appearances.

Attempt number eight proved just as frustrating for Stosur as she wilted on a sun-kissed Court 18 in just 82 minutes against a player who had won only one match at the All England Club before Tuesday.

"I wanted to do a lot better here than what I had in previous years. I didn't. So it's unfortunate," Stosur told reporters.

"I'd love to do well here. As Australians, we've always had a great tradition of doing well here. I haven't been able to have my own success yet. I'm still hopeful in years ahead I'll be able to turn it around."

Wimbledon's roll of honour includes such illustrious Australians as Rod Laver, Margaret Court, Evonne Goolagong, John Newcombe and Roy Emerson.

On the day when the British chancellor unveiled his new budget, a misfiring Stosur's chances of winning Britain's most famed tennis tournament appeared to be as likely as her solving the nation's debt crisis.

She instead made a small contribution to the coffers through the tax deducted from her first-round losers' cheque of $17,400 before beating a hasty retreat back to Australia.

"I didn't play as well as I know that I can today," said Stosur, who was broken three times. "She served very well. I didn't serve as well as her. I think that kind of hurt me.

"It has been definitely a long few months through Europe," added the Gold Coast resident, who beat three world number ones en route to her surprise final showing at Roland Garros. "But that's all part and parcel with doing well.

"Looking at the whole picture, I've got to be very happy with what I have achieved over the last few months. I'm definitely going to look at the last few weeks and go home pretty happy."

Stosur's defeat meant both French Open finalists had failed to survive the opening round here as Paris champion Francesca Schiavone made a hasty exit on Monday.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars