Saturday, January 30, 2010

Double man of the match Harris happy to play a 'fill-in' role for Australia

Published>Sat, Jan 30 10 04:49 PM

Melbourne, Jan 30 (ANI): Fast bowler Ryan Harris, who claimed 10 wickets and two man-of-the-match awards in the past week, has set his sights on becoming Australia's next frontline bowler, but is content for now to play a "fill-in" role for the world champions.

Harris has been in the form of his life since being recalled into the Australia squad for the past two one-dayers against Pakistan.

Harris was scintillating in Australia's 135-run win over Pakistan in Perth on Friday, FOX Sports reports.

The right-arm paceman finished with figures of 5-19 to go with Tuesday's 5-43, taking his wicket tally in one-day internationals to 11 in just three appearances at the phenomenal average of 10.54.

But with star bowler Mitchell Johnson expected to return to the side for Sunday's fifth one-dayer against Pakistan at the WACA Ground, Harris said he wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to be dropped.

"I'm here to fill in at the moment. The boys are resting, Dougy (Bollinger) is resting as well. So if I don't play the next game, well that's the way it is," Harris said.

"I've still got to earn my spot. The boys have been there and have done such a great job over the last two or three years. If the boys say to me on Sunday have a rest, then have a rest. That doesn't really bother me," he said.

"I look long term and think that if I keep bowling well then I'll make them pick me, make myself be the frontline bowler. But that's probably a little way off. If I keep doing well and they need someone to bowl when one of the guys need a rest they'll know I'll be there," Harris said.

Harris's only previous one-day international before the current series came a year ago against South Africa and the all-rounder feared he would not get another chance. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars