Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tait, Nannes in selection duel for Twenty20 spot against Pakistan

Published>Wed, Feb 03 10 01:19 PM

Melbourne, Feb 3 (ANI): Australian fast bowlers Shaun Tait and Dirk Nannes are fighting for the chance to play against Pakistan in the Twenty20 international at the MCG on Friday night.

Both are clearly in contention for the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean during April, yet only one may get the opportunity on Friday, with Mitchell Johnson and the latest sensation, Ryan Harris, also in the 13-man squad.

Picking Tait would be a gamble because constant injury problems means he no longer plays Sheffield Shield cricket, raising questions about his fitness, FOX Sports reports.

Tait was one of the leading bowlers of the 2007 Cricket World Cup, but he broke down during the last of his three Tests, against India in Perth two years ago, and thereafter has struggled physically and mentally to return to the longer forms of the game.

He has played just six Shield matches in the past two seasons and by his own admission he has been scratchy for South Australia in the Ford Ranger Cup this summer.

"I haven't really bowled that well lately," said Tait, who was flown to Perth last week as cover for the injured Peter Siddle but did not play the fifth one-day match against Pakistan.

"It's not that I am not in good form, I have just been a bit scratchy in the last couple of games, bowling a few no-balls and wides came back again. It is just a case of getting back in the nets and having a good crack, and I am sure I will be fine. It is just something, throughout my career, that has always been happening," Tait said.

Nannes, 33, played for the Netherlands in the 2009 World Twenty20, but the Victoria paceman is desperate to play for Australia.

"I think any chance to play is a big opportunity. Every game you play in the Big Bash is a massive opportunity. Hopefully I get a few more opportunities after (Friday) and who knows? I'm not a selector and all I can do is try and bowl my best," Nannes said.

"It's great to be sort of, I guess, recognised to be in the Australian team, and whether that, going forward, gets me a place to the World Cup, that would be fantastic. It's a bit of a different game," he said. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars