Friday, April 30, 2010

Cavendish apologises for two-fingered salute

Mark Cavendish of Britain gestures after winning the second stage of the Tour de Romandie...

Published Sat, May 01 10 12:16 AM

Briton Mark Cavendish has apologised for celebrating his victory in the Tour of Romandie second stage in Fribourg with a two-fingered salute at his critics.

"I want to publicly apologise for the gesture I made on the finish line on the Tour of Romandie yesterday," the 24-year-old wrote in a statement on Friday.

Despite the apology, the race jury fined Cavendish 6,000 Swiss francs ($5,545) for making the gesture.

"I did want to make a statement to my critics but I realise that making a rude gesture on the finish line is not the best way to do that," the Briton said.

"I apologise to everybody watching the race and especially the kids. I am not proud of releasing the feelings in that way. I hope I can redeem myself and show my feelings and my passion for cycling with some exciting results in the next couple of months rather than with gestures such as the one yesterday."

The race jury issued a statement later on Friday, saying: "In spite of the rider's apologies made in a team statement and then to the jury before the start of Friday's time trial, the jury inflicts a 6,000-Swiss-franc fine for incorrect behaviour."

The win on Thursday was only Cavendish's second of the season and the Manxman, arguably the world's best sprinter, had been the target of media criticism for his lack of victories.

The Team Columbia rider was hampered by a dental infection at the start of the season.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars