Monday, May 24, 2010

Serena stutters into French Open second round

Serena Williams of the U.S. plays a shot during her match against Stefanie Voegele of...

Published>Mon, May 24 10 10:48 PM

Serena Williams wore the first of seven dresses at the French Open on Monday, but her first-round match proved no catwalk as the world number one stuttered past Swiss Stefanie Voegele 7-6 6-2.

The 2002 Paris champion stooped and clenched her fist as she saw off three break points en route to a 7-2 win in the first set tiebreak after struggling to break her opponent's serve.

"I definitely didn't feel good about it. At least I won. I think I'm still in the tournament, that's what matters," Serena told reporters.

World number 76 Voegele, egged on by the crowd on Court Philippe Chatrier, lost her composure in the second set as Serena ended the contest with a routine volley after an hour and 21 minutes.

She will next face German Julia Goerges.

"A different day, a better game; a different day, a different game. That's how I think about it," said Serena.

A different dress as well.

"I always have seven outfits for singles and six for doubles," she said.

"I just wear them once, like everything else. I only wear things once."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars