Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cricket helped Imran Khan 'prepare for politics'

Published>Sun, Aug 01 10 05:57 PM

Islamabad, Aug 1(ANI): Former Pakistan cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan has said that being a cricketer had helped him prepare to fight it out in the field of politics.

Khan, who led his teammates to Pakistan's first and only World Cup victory in 1992, has been a politician since the mid-1990s.

"Politics is cut-throat. I find myself far better equipped than my colleagues because I learnt to compete and take knocks from sport. There is no better preparation for politics," The Daily Times quoted Khan, as saying.

"It is the ultimate in character-building. Being a political leader is like being a cricket captain. You walk out to a stadium full of people, all responsibility on you, and if you can learn to take that responsibility, it equips you to do anything in life," he added.

Talking about his memories of the 1992 World Cup, Khan said: "Great euphoria. I handpicked that young team and for them to win the World Cup from that impossible situation was a source of such happiness to the Pakistanis."

"I was so proud of that team. When I retired, I left the best Pakistan team in its history. I was very disappointed that it never achieved its potential," he added.

The 57-year-old has a record of 3807 runs and 362 wickets in Test cricket, making him one of eight cricketers to have achieved an 'all-rounder's triple' in Test matches.

In April 1996, Khan founded and became the chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), of which he is the only member to be elected to the Parliament. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars