Sunday, August 1, 2010

Planning new innings, Jadeja, Kambli in running for IPL-IV

Published>Mon, Aug 02 10 10:53 AM

With two new teams in the fray from this IPL season, young hopefuls sense an opportunity to hit instant stardom and big money. But before they get there, they will have to stave off some tough competition - from a bunch of former Indian cricketers who have silently, but vigorously, hit the gym, smelling their own big chance to stage a comeback.

Even as Brian Lara eyes a return to cricket during IPL IV, former Indian cricketers Ajay Jadeja, Vinod Kambli, Amit Bhandari and J P Yadav are spending most of their off-season time slimming down and sharpening their skills as they look keen to join the gang of successful retired cricketers like Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble.

Jadeja is 39 and Kambli a year younger. Both played their last international match in 2000. Jadeja's last first-class match was for Rajasthan in 2007, while Kambli's cricket career folded up in 2005.

Fast bowler Bhandari, who last played against Zimbabwe in Perth in 2004, is the youngest of the lot at 31. He played for Delhi till the 2008-09 season.

J P Yadav, 35, one of the many all-rounders tested in the Indian team in the last decade, played his last ODI in 2005 and then joined the rebel ICL.

They are running alongside a host of first-class cricketers, retired and semi-retired, who are equally keen to net an IPL contract. As the season warms up in a month's time, all the players insist that they would first test themselves in pre-season club tournaments before graduating to Ranji one-dayers and finally inching towards a shot at IPL.

Recently, Jadeja surprised many when he turned out for a local club game in the Delhi summer circuit, much leaner and fitter, triggering a chain of speculation. Jadeja is known to have been in talks with a few states to play one-day and T20 matches. When contacted, however, he declined to spell out the details. But he did admit that he is looking to get back into the game.

"I just felt like playing and am looking to enjoy myself. I am just getting set, I feel that if you want to play, you might as well be fit enough. So I am just preparing, giving it a try to see what I can do at 40," he says.

Jadeja has worked on a comeback chart. "Maybe this month I will play some tournaments in Karnataka...I am looking to play a few domestic tournaments to see if I am fit enough. It has been three years... and if someone will give me a chance, why not," he says. "IPL is probably the easiest out of everything else. I will only be playing if I am still the best in the field and with the bat, else will not be there. But it has to be just more than playing, like giving added advantage to the team. It makes more sense, I am not looking at it in terms of a profession or for money, but just for pleasure. I have seen three generations, from Kapil and Shastri, to Yuvi to Raina as well.. that's the biggest asset I have. I can piece the missing link if I spend time with a team as a mentor, friend or whatever you want to call it."

Kambli admits he too is working hard on a comeback but declines to say anything on it now. The left-hand batsman is following a strict fitness regimen under the supervision of Mumbai team physio and trainer Aijaz, who has taken him completely off alcohol and non-vegetarian food. Kambli has shed nine kilos and a few inches off his waist and has been a regular at the BKC complex for nets.

Bhandari withdrew from the Delhi Ranji team two seasons back with the influx of youngsters but is a regular in the club circuit - still turning out for his institution in several Board-recognised matches and will be leading his team in the Corporate Trophy. "I am working hard in Delhi and have done well in the recent summer, earning best bowler awards in 40-over cricket and bowling economically in Sheesh Mahal T20 tournament. I am hoping that I can contribute with my experience," he says. "You need brains to bowl in T20 and I feel I have plenty to offer still."

"I am working hard towards a comeback and hope they pick me. I am only looking towards playing one-day and T20 so that I can manage the load. At the same time, I will be playing in the Corporate Trophy and other tournaments to see how well it goes," he adds.

JP, meanwhile, says he is obsessed with making a comeback in the domestic circuit this season. "I have been working hard for the last one year and hopefully I will be able to make a comeback into the Railways side this season. I got a small chance last season to play T20 but I am working towards a full-time comeback into the circuit. In fact, I am off to Bangalore for a Railways camp and hopefully if I do well in Buchi Babu and KSCA (tournaments), and get into the Ranji side, the IPL contract will follow automatically," he says.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars