Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reigning Commonwealth 400m champion to miss Delhi Games

Published>Thu, Sep 09 10 10:07 PM

London, Sep 9 (IANS) Australia's John Steffensen, the reigning Commonwealth Games 400 meters champion, Thursday pulled out from the Oct 3-14 event over a four-year-long feud with Athletics Australia (AA) and accused them of jeopardising athletes' careers.

Steffensen said AA ignored his complaints for over four years and he is forced to boycott the Delhi Games, for which he was training from the last two years.

The 28-year-old holds a grievance against AA after his request to seek an exemption from the national championships earlier this year after undergoing a major back surgery.

AA said Steffensen could have an exemption but informed him that his selection would not be guaranteed because he was one of four athletes who had qualifying times for three positions in the team in the 400m.

'This is the toughest decision I've ever had make,' Steffensen was quoted as saying by the Telegraph.

Steffenson, the gold medallist in 4x400m relay in the Melbourne edition lashed out at the approach of the athletics body.

'Athletes are getting bullied, dictated to, copping decisions that are essentially jeopardising careers. I explained the surgeons' findings and they (AA) effectively said 'too bad, run'.' Steffensen said.

'This decision is going to cost me money, my reputation will take a hit and my chance of ever winning consecutive Commonwealth golds is gone. I love Australia. I love running for my country. But by sacrificing two years of my own preparations for these Games, I hope people understand how passionate I am about creating change for athletics in this country.'

AA chief executive Dallas O'Brien said he is yet to receive any formal notification of Steffensen's withdrawal.

'We would be disappointed if Steffensen will not available to represent Australia in the 400m and the 4x400m relay in New Delhi,' O'Brien said in a statement.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars