Friday, January 15, 2010

Cue sports need image makeover: Pankaj Advani

Deepak Jain>Sat, Jan 16 10 12:04 PM

Charming cueist Pankaj Advani reckons cue sport desperately needs an image makeover and it's time to bid goodbye to the traditional bow tie dress code.

"Cue sports need to attract more eye-balls," the ace cueist said.

The first logical step should be a change in the dress code -- from very formal to more dapper, casual and funky, says Advani, only the second cueist, after Malta's Paul Mifsud, to have won both the billiards and snooker world titles.

"While the waistcoat can remain, the bow tie definitely needs to be given a go-by. The waistcoat can be funky and we can have printed shirts which are colourful and vibrant," prescribed the 24-year go-getter who is most comfortable in his jeans and T-shirt.

Cue sport also needs better marketing and visibility and like most other disciplines, all national sports federations need to take a leaf out of the Board of Control for Cricket in India's book on how to promote a game.

Advani said since he got "hooked on" to the sport when he was just six, things have changed over the last three to five years in the way people perceive a sportsperson.

Achievements of champion sportspersons are finally being noticed now, he pointed out.

"However, the understanding that a Vishwanathan Anand works as hard as a Sachin Tendulkar still needs to seep in," he quipped.

An alumnus of the Frank Anthony Public School here, Advani was an all-rounder who was not only a good student but also dabbled in sports like cricket, table tennis and basketball as well.

"I even wanted to be a pilot once. However, I continued to pursue billiards and it was only when I was in the 10th standard that I realised I can actually go international and represent my country, which I did in the World Billiards Championship in England in 1999-2000," he said.

Going down memory lane, Advani recalled with fondness his first days in Mahaveer Jain college as a student of B Com, when he was asked by Chenraj Jain, Chairman Jain Group of Institutions, not to attend classes but focus on billiards.

"He asked me when I was going to win my first world championship and I replied casually, 'Maybe in two years'. When I won it six months later, in 2003, I can still feel the warmth with which he shook my hand and said, 'Yaar Kamal ho Gaya'."

Advani was initiated into the game by his elder brother Shree but it was Arvind Savur who polished the uncut gem and the youngster paid rich tribute to his coach, calling him "a father figure, mentor, guide and the best billiards coach in the country".

"However, the understanding that a Vishwanathan Anand works as hard as a Sachin Tendulkar still needs to seep in," Advani quipped.

An alumnus of the Frank Anthony Public School here, Pankaj was an all-rounder who was not only a good student but also dabbled in sports like cricket, table tennis and basketball as well.

"I even wanted to be a pilot once. However, I continued to pursue billiards and it was only when I was in the 10th standard that I realised I can actually go international and represent my country, which I did in the World Billiard Championship in England in 1999-2000", he said.

Going down memory lane, Pankaj recalled with fondness his first days in Mahaveer Jain college as a student of B Com, when he was asked by Chenraj Jain, Chairman Jain Group of Institutions, not to attend classes but focus on billiards.

"He asked me when I was going to win my first world championship and I replied casually, 'Maybe in two years'. When I won it six months later, in 2003, I can still feel the warmth with which he shook my hand and said, 'Yaar Kamal ho Gaya'.

Pankaj was initiated into the game by his elder brother Shree but it was Arvind Savur who polished the uncut gem and the youngster paid rich tribute to his coach, calling him "a father figure, mentor, guide and the best billiards coach in the country".

An avid Michael Jackson fan, Advani loves break dance and hip-hop and enjoys breaking into a "typical Bollywood dance".

On his favourite place abroad, the ace player said he was mesmerised by the scenic beauty and vibrancy of Latvia and would love to visit it again.

One of the most decorated sportspersons of the country, Advani said he was "single and loved being single".

"I am not ready to take the plunge for another three to five years and would like somebody other than a sportsperson for a partner simply because I would hate discussing sports at home. It is important that the person has the same wave length and understands my professional demands totally", Advani said.

The reigning world professional billiards champion, who admires Peter Gilchrist for his sportsmanship and considers Mike Russell as "one of the greatest billiards players", is looking forward to the Asian Championship to be held in Indore in April and Asian Games slated for November in China.

"To be become a champion, you need to be prepared to lose. It is only when you let go that you become fearless and produce the best," was Advani's message to the budding players.





Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars