Thursday, July 8, 2010

Van Persie keen to emulate Maradona's 1986 WC glory celebrations

Published>Thu, Jul 08 10 01:53 PM

Cape Town, July 8(ANI): Netherlands forward Robin van Persie has said his ultimate dream is to emulate boyhood hero Diego Maradona's way of lifting the World Cup trophy in 1986.

Van Persie also has a photograph of Maradona holding the trophy, which will serve as his inspiration ahead of Sunday's World Cup final against Spain at Johannesburg's Soccer City.

"As soon as I saw the video of Maradona lifting the trophy and crying when I was a boy, I was hooked. I can't tell you how many times I have watched that clip, but since that first moment I have always wanted to play in a World Cup final, even back then when I was just a kid," The Sun quoted Van Persie, as saying.

"Even now I have a really big picture of Maradona on the wall at home. It is an unbelievable picture of him holding the World Cup. He is on his team-mates' shoulders and he is holding it with all the passion and stuff," Van Persie said.

"If we win, I want that same picture with me holding the World Cup - and hopefully having scored the winner," he added.

He further said the only tinge of regret is that he never got to meet Argentina coach Maradona despite both of them being in South Africa.

"I would have loved to have met him out here, but it wasn't to be - although maybe I would have been too shy to say anything to him anyway, but I am just thrilled to be in the final. It has always meant more to me than anything else," Van Persie said. (ANI)


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars