Friday, August 20, 2010

Atwal continues on top, Jeev tied 10th at Wyndham Championship

Sat, Aug 21 10 12:06 PM

Greensboro (USA), Aug 21 (PTI) Arjun Atwal continued to rediscover his lost touch, carding a sparkling three-under 67 to be the joint leader while Jeev Milkha Singh (68) shared the 10th spot after the second round of the Wyndham Golf Championship here. The Orlando-based Atwal, who lost his PGA Tour card last month and is bidding to become the first Monday qualifier to win a tournament in 24 years, has a total of 12-under 128 along with American Brandt Snedeker (65) at the top of the leaderboard. "There''s no doubt. I''m going to definitely be thinking about winning," he said. "If I get into contention on Sunday on the back nine, I won''t be scared. Hopefully, my swing holds up and we''ll see what happens," he added. In red-hot form this week, Atwal played out a flawless front nine, picking up birdies on the third, fourth, eighth and ninth to be four-under at the turn. The back-nine was a slight disappointment as he stumbled to bogeys on the 10th and 14th before making some amends by sending down a birdie on the 15th hole. "I missed a couple of fairways today where, you know, kind of hard to get it on the green from there. That''s why I made a couple of bogeys. Other than that, I''m pretty happy with the way I played today," he said. "There''s a little bit of a breeze out there and it wasn''t like strong or anything but it was enough where it made you think and it was enough where could you miss these fairways off the tees if you didn''t judge the wind properly. "If you start missing these fairways it''s really hard to get it close to the hole. So the guy who drives it the best today, I mean even in the afternoon, will probably shoot a really low number," he said of the conditions here. Atwal, who played his way into the Wyndham field by sharing the first place in the qualifier at Forest Oaks, is not eligible to play in The Barclays or any of the other Playoffs events because his minor medical exemption ended when he fell short on the money list following the RBC Canadian Open. To earn back his PGA card for 2011, Atwal has to climb up the earnings lists on the PGA Tour and the Nationwide Tour. "My goal is to secure my job for next year. My caddy and I were talking about it, after my medical ran out on the Tour, I''m still exempt in Europe because I won in 2008. We could have gone and played in Europe. I didn''t want to do that. My main goal is to play here," he said. "So I''ve asked for sponsor''s invites in the Fall Series but I''m not getting any. So I''m going to Monday qualify every week and see how it goes. That''s my main goal is to play here," he added. The other Indian in fray, Jeev didn''t too badly for himself either and managed three birdies against a bogey for a total of eight-under 132.


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars