Saturday, October 30, 2010

It's all falling into place for Ishant

Published>Sun, Oct 31 10 06:08 AM

Those budding cricketers who made their way to the Ferozeshah Kotla for the under-14 selection trials were excited to see the familiar and lanky figure of medium-pacer Ishant Sharma bowling on the centre wicket on Saturday morning. Sharma joined the Delhi Ranji Trophy squad during a morning practice session geared up towards their season opener against Bengal from Monday.

Sharma will be packing his bags and heading to Ahmedabad for the first Test against New Zealand on Day One of the Delhi-Bengal match at the Kotla.

The medium-pacer had injured his right knee during the first Test against Australia in Mohali and though he was off the field during phases of the first innings, he took three second-innings wickets and added 81 runs for the ninth wicket with VVS Laxman in a match-winning partnership. He missed the second Test in Bangalore but has recovered and made the cut for the Test squad for the New Zealand series.

During practice, which was followed by a stint in the gymnasium, Sharma tried to find his rhythm. "Getting match fit and getting match fit in the correct manner is very important for a bowler. As a bowler you have to feel confident going into a Test match. At the same time you can't overburden yourself by bowling long spells in the nets in an effort to find rhythm. One has to slowly build himself up, and that's what I am trying to do," Sharma told The Sunday Express.

A slow and steady build-up is what Sharma prefers in a scenario when he is getting back to his best. "My target is to bowl 10 overs at the nets each day and see how it goes. I am bowling eight overs at present and I am bowling with the same intensity and effort as I would in a Test match. I am happy with the way I am building up for the New Zealand series," Sharma added.

Looking back at the Mohali Test, Sharma recalls how the pain in his knee made it very difficult to bowl. "Within the first five overs, I felt a sharp pain in my knee. I was bowling a lot of no-balls because I was bowling in pain, looking to somehow get through my overs. I had to take three injections to relieve the pain and I bowled much better in the second innings. Bowling that spell gave me a lot of confidence because I was able to influence the outcome of the match to a certain extent," Sharma said adding that he had shortened his run-up before the Sri Lanka series to reduce the burden on his knee.

His career-best of 32 in the second innings was also a talking point. "I only bat when I am on tour or traveling with Indian team," he said after opting not to pad-up on Saturday. The only man who was confident of Sharma's ability with the bat in Mohali was probably coach Gary Kirsten.

The Kirsten story

"Gary spoke to me and gave me all the confidence. He made me believe that I could contribute with the bat too and help India win a Test match. 'Do you have the same confidence as me?' he asked. When I went into bat, I could feel the faith he had reposed in me, and honestly, it made the difference."

It is Kirsten's tireless and patient efforts to help everyone improve their skills that has helped Sharma gain confidence. "Gary will never say no when a bowler or a tail-ender wants to polish his batting skills at the end of a nets session. All the time he tries to pump you up. He wants to make you believe that tail-enders can also make a difference with the bat. You won't believe it but he has given me throw downs for half-an hour after the nets. I wish Kirsten is there with us even after the World Cup. As for bowling coach Eric Simons, he gives us a lot of positive energy. He also gives us a lot of options to work with. If going over the stumps is not working, he allows you to bowl around or try options."

This Diwali will be special for Sharma. His family will be moving into a brand-new home, even while he'll be away in Ahmedabad.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars