Friday, October 22, 2010

Vijender hopeful of Delhi''s return to World Series of Boxing

Fri, Oct 22 10 06:19 PM

New Delhi, Oct 22 (PTI) As Delhi failed to be part of the World Series of Boxing for the want of sponsors, India''s top pugilist Vijender Singh today urged country''s boxers to continue their good show so that a fresh bid could be made in future. The International Boxing Association (AIBA) yesterday terminated its agreement with Delhi and handed the franchise to the South Korean city of Incheon. "I felt very bad to hear that. It could have been a huge opportunity for our boxers. It could have made the sport more popular. Indian boxers are doing very well and I hope we regroup ourself and produce more good performances and bid for a new franchise in future," Vijender told reporters here. Vijender was one of the most sought after boxer for WSB but refused to sign on the dotted line. "I was asked to either compete in the 73kg or 85kg, both of which would have been very difficult for me. I was also concentrating on the Commonwealth Games then. I wanted to be a part but it was not to be," said the Haryana boxer, who competes in 75kg category. The World championship bronze medallist, who was here to launch ''Alfa boxer'' luggages, a VIP brand, said that he was now focussing on the Asian Games and hoped to win a medal for the country. "I am 101 per cent fit, ready and focussed on the Asian Games. I hope I can win a medal. I don''t know what would be the colour, it may be bronze, silver or gold," he said. "But it is going to be tough as the competitions level will be different from what we have seen during the Games. In the Asiad there will be Asian boxers from China and also from Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan. Their style and approach are different but I hope to do well. "I have started my training two-three days back in Patiala and I would be travelling to Dubai as a part of our preparation for the Asiad," he added. Vijender also said that the Haryana government is doing a lot for the athletes. "The Haryana government is awarding not only the medal winning athletes but also all those who competed but couldn''t make it to the medal bracket. They are providing cars and cash awards, which is great," he said.


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars