Saturday, January 23, 2010

City lad Goldy follows in idol's footsteps

Published>Sun, Jan 24 10 07:59 AM

Set to make international debut in South Asian Games

When young Harjit Singh 'Goldy' joined Chandigarh Hockey Academy in 2002, his goal was to follow in the footsteps of his idol Baljit Singh ? an established goalkeeper after having made his international debut at the juniors' four-nation tournament in Poland in 2000. As Baljeet, the regular goalkeeper for Team India before an injury halted his progress, recuperates at home, Harjit is set to become the second goalkeeper from Chandigarh ? the first is Baljeet ? to represent India when he makes his international debut in the 11th South Asian Games to be held at Dhaka from January 29 to February 9.

Talking to Newsline over phone from Lucknow, Harjit said, "Baljit paaji is my guru and he is always there to guide me and rectify my faults. In fact, I am in touch with all the senior players from Chandigarh and Punjab but I am closest to him. I used to be in awe of him whenever we watched him practice at the Sector-42 Sports Complex in Chandigarh. Ever since I saw him play, I knew I had to become a goalkeeper."

However, it wasn't until his selection for the senior national camp in November 2009 for their preparation for the 2010 World Cup at Pune that Harjit thought of wearing the national jersey. "I just tried to give my best during the camp and even when we were laid off for a month, I spent time with my coach Jasbir Singh Bajwa at the Sector-42 stadium and worked on my game. I am glad my coach's and my parents' faith have paid off. If it weren't for their support, I would have never come this far," said the 20-year-old.

When Harjit was once again called for the senior camp in last week of December 2009 in Lucknow, it had his mentor Baljit all excited.

"He reminds me of myself as his playing style is just like mine. I have seen him grow and always knew he would make it to the Indian team one day. He has worked hard on his game and I am happy for him," said Baljeet.

Another CHA player, Dharamveer Singh, will also take part in the tournament though he had earlier represented India in the seven-match test series in Canada last year. Apart from India, the other teams participating in the event are Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.

"For a while, there were not any players from Chandigarh in the national team. I am glad Harjit and Dharamveer will represent Chandigarh, which despite being a small town has always churned out quality players," Baljit added.

If his family stood by him providing support and inspiration, coach Bajwa knew the boy was special after his performances in SN Vohra Hockey Tournament for U-14 in 2007 (he was adjudged the best goalkeeper) and All India National School Games Under-17 and Under-19 (two gold medals and a silver).

"He is a keen learner and a treat to watch in action. He has an acrobatic body which helps him in making important saves," Bajwa said.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars