Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Loss of sight is not a hurdle for this Kenyan athlete

Deepak Jain Tue, Jan 12 10 04:09 PM

Mumbai, Jan 11 (PTI) Loss of sight after suffering a paralytic stroke more than a decade ago has not dimmed the enthusiasm of Kenyan long distance runner Henry Wanyoike who has overcome enormous odds to live his athletics dream. "I lost my sight but not my vision. I have achieved without sight what I dreamt when I could see," said the visually impaired Wanyoike ahead of his participation in the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon this Sunday. Wanyoike, who lost his eye in 1995, has overcome this tremendous handicap to be crowned as a world track champion, a Paralympic gold medallist in Sydney 2000 and a nominee of the prestigious Laureus World Sports Award in 2005 besides winning the 2004 Hong Kong half marathon. "I was born in slums, and brought up in a lot of hardships. When I was five, I had to run five km to reach my school and five km back to reach home again. That started my interest in running," said Wanyoike who is a goodwill ambassador for Standard Chartered''s ''Seeing is Believing'' programme. "In 1995, I suffered a paralytic stroke to the left side of my body. One day when I woke up I could no longer see," said Wanyoike, who will be participating in the half marathon race along with his sighted partner Joseph Kibunja and 40 women from the Hamara Foundation. With his family not knowing how to support him and many friends deserting him, Wanyoike shared his thoughts with others who too had lost their sight and accepted the reality. (MORE) PTI VKV SSR DK PM





Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars