Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Poland's Radwanska eases into last four at Indian Wells

Published>Thu, Mar 18 10 05:46 AM

Fifth seed Agnieszka Radwanska breezed into her second semi-final of the year with a 6-4 6-3 victory over fourth-seeded Russian Elena Dementieva at the Indian Wells WTA tournament on Wednesday.

Poland's Radwanska, who also reached the last four in Dubai last month and has yet to drop a set at Indian Wells, broke her opponent twice in each set to win the match in one hour 31 minutes.

The 21-year-old sealed victory when Dementieva hit a backhand service return long and will next meet either her good friend Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark or China's Zheng Jie.

"I'm very happy I am in this condition, always playing two sets," a smiling Radwanska told reporters. "It's always better to win in two sets but it's always hard, especially here."

The Pole, a winner of four WTA titles, was delighted to extend her winning record against Dementieva to 4-2 on a sunny afternoon in the California desert.

"We've played on different surfaces but Elena is always very tough," Radwanska said after converting six of her eight break point opportunities.

"If I win the match, I'm just a couple of points better. It's not like 6-1 and 6-1. If it's an important moment, I think I'm just little bit better."

Dementieva, a losing finalist here to compatriot Maria Sharapova in 2006, was frustrated with her display in ideal conditions on the stadium court at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

"It was a perfect day to play tennis, and this year it's not windy," the 28-year-old said. "It's beautiful weather.

"I just didn't play the way I should to beat her. I was actually playing her game the way she feels pretty comfortable with the long rallies.

"I was not aggressive with my footwork and with my shots, just way too many mistakes from me. And she was playing as usual. She was pretty solid on the baseline, no mistakes."

Second seed Wozniacki was scheduled to play 18th-seeded Zheng in an evening match on Wednesday.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars