Thursday, May 13, 2010

Malik wants to play for Pakistan during England tour

Published Thu, May 13 10 10:57 PM

Lahore, May 13 (PTI) Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik who has been banned for a year by the PCB, wants to play for the national team on the tour of England in June-July when his wife, Indian tennis star Sania Mirza will be busy in Wimbledon championships in London. "It would make me proud, if this situation happened because it is rare for a husband and wife to be representing their countries at the same time in international sports in different sports," Malik said. Malik also made it clear that he had no issue with Sania continuing to represent India in tennis. "Why not? She is an Indian and India has given her everything. Just like I am a Pakistani and owe everything to my country. "She has married a Pakistani does not mean her nationality will change automatically. I hope she does well for India in the Wimbledon and I also hope to be playing for Pakistan in England at the same time," he said. "If both of us do well in our respective sports for our countries nothing could be better," he added. Malik was banned for 12-months and fined Rs 2 million by the Pakistan Cricket Board along with six other players in March on the recommendations of an inquiry committee that looked into the causes for poor performances during Australia tour and also the reports of infighting within the team. Malik has appealed against his ban and fine and said he had also come to meet his lawyer and decide if he would appear in person before the appeals judge. "I am confident of this ban being lifted soon because I don''t think I have ever done anything that is against the interests of Pakistan cricket," he said. Malik said he had lot of respect for his seniors and got along well with the junior players in the team as well. "I really don''t know why this ban was imposed on me and I had asked my lawyer to get all relevant documents and evidence from the Board which suggest I acted against the team interests," he said. "I want to play for my country again and I want to be there for the Tests in England. I miss playing international cricket," he added. .


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars