Wednesday, October 27, 2010

India defender Gouramangi organises football camp

Wed, Oct 27 10 07:46 PM

New Delhi, Oct 27 (PTI) With the aim to create awareness about football among young children in Manipur, India and Churchill Brothers central defender Gouramangi Singh has organised a four-day training camp there from October 21-24. The camp, which was a step to encourage youngsters there to not just take up football as a profession but also to enjoy the sport, was held in Avangsekmai, Gouramangi''s hometown. "I have had this idea for a long time now but never really had the time to put it in place. I also wanted to do something for the place to which I owe a lot, though I know this is nothing," Gouramangi told PTI from Avangsekmai, which is a few hours drive from state capital Imphal. "I have some plans in my mind and they will be given shape in the coming months. I want to do a lot but I don''t have have the time at present," he added. Gouramangi also thanked India skipper Bhaichung Bhutia and the Football Players Association of India (FPAI) for their support. "During a casual chat with Bhai (Bhutia) I proposed the idea to him and he immediately approved of it. He added that the FPAI would also help me," Gouramangi said. "It (FPAI) provided us with eight footballs and 50 jerseys and the All India Football Federation (AIFF), too, supported me with balls and kits. Sukhwinder Singh (AIFF''s former marketing man) too helped me and I thank all of them for their support," Gouramangi said. Also offering support to Gouramangi were his India teammates Sushil Singh and Surkumar Singh besides Govin Singh and James Singh. "They (players) turned up to offer their support and my local clubs also helped me in organising the camp." Nearly 70 boys turned up daily for the camp. The first three days of the camp were used for training the children while the final day saw an exhibition match, in which the likes of Gouramangi and Surkumar participated. "I was pleasantly surprised to saw many people turning up for the match. Manipur''s sports minister N Biren Singh was also there for the exhibition match," Gouramangi said.


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars