Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Saina''s ''friend, guide'' ends career with loss against her

Tue, Oct 12 10 02:23 PM

Amit Kumar Das New Delhi, Oct 12 (PTI) She used to hand out tips to Saina Nehwal until just four years ago and an emotionally overwhelmed Anna Rice could not stop the tears from flowing when she ended her career with a loss against the Indian ace at the Commonwealth Games here. A good friend of Saina, the 30-year-old Canadian shuttler recalled the days when she played with her, helping the Indian in little ways to become a better player. Anna, who went down 7-21 10-21 to the top seeded crowd favourite in the quarterfinals of women''s singles last night, said she still loves the game but it was time to quit. "It is very emotional for me but the feeling is yet to settle in," Anna said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I wanted to play for some time more, I mean I love the game but I guess I can''t keep up with these young girls anymore," she added. Anna and Saina became friends in 2006. Saina had started taking her first steps to the stardom she enjoys now but Anna had already become an Olympian at that time. The world number 31 Canadian said she has seen her friend grow. "She is a player who has matured beyond her age. I started going for international tours at 18-19 but look at her, she was on her own when she was just 15 years old," Rice said. "I remember she used to complain that she is losing in three games and I used to tell her that it is a process," she added. Anna said Saina''s success has raised the profile of the sport. "Saina''s growing stature is good for the sport in India. As I see it, the gender equality when it comes to sport is not the same in India. Saina''s success will increase the profile of the sport as a whole in India and that is good for badminton also," Anna said. .


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars