Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Statistics show Cook has personal point to prove

Published>Tue, Nov 23 10 06:28 PM

England opener Alastair Cook knows he has a personal point to prove heading into the Ashes series this week, with the statistics showing all too clearly the problems he has had against Australia's bowlers.

Despite a gutsy century in the third test of the 2006-07 series, the 25-year-old left-hander boasts a paltry average of 26.21 in 10 Ashes tests against the Australians.

"It's obviously something that I've got to prove to people," he told reporters on Tuesday, two days before the start of the series. "It's one side that I haven't done as well against as I have against other sides.

"You can't hide behind the fact of that statistic, and hopefully over the next two months I can prove people wrong on that."

Cook, who burst onto the international scene with a century against India on his debut in 2006, is certain he is a far better player than the callow 21-year-old who disappointed when England went down to a 5-0 defeat on their last tour of Australia.

"I think I'd played nine test matches and now I've got 60 under my belt," he said.

"I've seen a lot more cricket, I've experienced the highs of scoring some runs, and the lows of not scoring runs, so I feel as though I'm more complete and that I understand what I have to do to score runs.

"The challenge of having that experience is being able to use it in the right way. Hopefully I can do that in this month and prove to people that I can score runs here."

Cook has had an up-and-down year, leading England to a 2-0 series victory over Bangladesh when his opening partner Andrew Strauss took a break but then hitting a barren spell.

England stuck with him and were rewarded with an uncharacteristically aggressive century in the third test against Pakistan.

Having proved the doubters wrong once this year, Cook is happy to go under the microscope again in the tricky Australian conditions.

"It doesn't bring any more pressure ... there's enough pressure walking out to open the batting in the Ashes series," he added. "I'm really looking forward to trying to get those runs behind me and trying to improve my record against Australia."

Settled and confident, England are reckoned to have a good chance of ending the 24-year wait for an Ashes triumph in Australia this year and Cook said the squad were all looking forward to getting down to business at the Gabba on Thursday.

"We're excited," he said. "As an English player coming for the Ashes in Australia, it's a very exciting place to be at the moment."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars