Thursday, January 21, 2010

Safina finds recipe for success against Baltacha

Russia's Dinara Safina hits a return to Elena Baltacha of Britain during the Australian Open...

Published>Fri, Jan 22 10 10:09 AM

Aspiring chef Dinara Safina could have created a new dish of British lamb on Friday after she roasted Elena Baltacha 6-1 6-2 in less than an hour to reach the the fourth round of the Australian Open.

The 23-year-old world number two looked relaxed during the match on Rod Laver Arena, admitting afterwards she had acquired a new hobby in the culinary arts and gone to a local bookshop on her day off to purchase a cookbook.

"I had to buy two books. I like cooking. I'm having new apartment in Moscow," Safina told reporters.

"I'm like, 'okay, instead of library of books, I'll have cookbooks'. I want to cook.

"I'm just starting, you know. Until now nobody got sick, so this is the positive. They might... not like, but if they have problems with the stomach, it's not good."

Safina appeared to take some lessons from the cookbook, which was based on the popular Meryl Streep film "Julie & Julia", though there was little finesse in her approach as she pounded Baltacha into submission.

She was ruthlessly efficient in the first set, in which the only game she lost was when Baltacha broke her serve, and took it in just 26 minutes.

PRETTY SATISFIED

Safina appeared to be still sitting in her chair, mentally at least, at the start of the second set, allowing Baltacha to finally held her own serve by blasting away to love.

The Russian, however, soon got back to the business of blasting winners and attacking the world number 83 until she sealed the match in just 57 minutes.

"My game is trying to put pressure on opponent... so I managed to dictate from the first point of the match," Safina said.

"I think it was going everything right and during the match I was trying to do it more and more, to give her less, less time.

"I think it was very solid match from my side. I played good. (and am) pretty satisfied with everything I did."

Baltacha agreed with Safina's interpretation, admitting she had been outclassed in the high pressure environment of Rod Laver Arena. "It was difficult. It was difficult," Baltacha said. "All credit to Safina. I think she played really well.

"It was difficult because I don't play top 10 every week (and) I knew for me to get anywhere near her, I'd have to play very, very well. And she put a lot of pressure on me out there."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars