Thursday, April 15, 2010

Saina is a Roger Federer fan

Published>Thu, Apr 15 10 09:59 PM

New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Roger Federer has a new fan in Indian badminton sensation Saina Nehwal, who watches the matches of the Swiss champion to learn from his mental make-up.

Saina's mother Usha Nehwal, who is here to see her daughter at the Badminton Asian Championships, said she ensures that she learns by watching Federer.

'I make her see Roger Federer's matches, so that she could see how he approaches his match psychologically.'

Asked whether she listens to her mother's instructions from the courtside, Saina said: 'I am short tempered. So, my mother and even coach Atik (Jauhari) sir keep telling me to maintain my cool.'

Asked if she has ever resorted to throwing racquet on losing her cool, Saina replied promptly; 'Roger Federer never does, maybe Nadal does.'

Spilling the beans from the young shuttler's childhood, Usha, a former badminton player, recalled how Saina as a child was first sent for the karate classes.

'I first enrolled her for the karate classes for which she went for a month or a two. Then someone told me to send her to LB Stadium for badminton and after that she has never looked back,' Usha said.

Top seeded Saina was satisfied with her win over Malaysian Julia Pei Xian Wong but is aware the road ahead becomes only difficult now.

'The court from one end was very fast today. It was difficult to play there. Even Julia was having problems playing from that side. That is one of the reasons the games in the championships are being stretched to three games,' Saina said.

'My attacking tosses were going out, so I resorted to smashes and net play. Since I was confident about my stamina, I went for rallies when I was making mistakes and won the last four-five points without any frills.'

'My next opponent is a Malaysian and she is a tough Opponent. She had beaten me in the Malaysian Super Series but I got the better of her couple times last year. So, there are 50-50 chances,' she said.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars