Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Khade bags first medal in swimming in 24 years

Tue, Nov 16 10 07:06 PM

S S Ramaswamy Guangzhou, Nov 16 (PTI) Teenager Virdhawal Khade made a big splash in the Asian Games swimming by winning the first medal for India in 24 years, claiming the bronze in the mens 50m butterfly despite a sluggish start at the Aoti Aquatics Centre here today. The tall, 19-year-old Maharashtra swimmer took the splash with the second-worst reaction time but was good enough to get to the other end of the pool and touch the pad in third spot behind Chinas gold medal winner Zhou Jiawei and silver medalist Masayuki Kishida in 24.31 secs, 0.14 secs off his personal best clocked last year in the Asian Age Group swim meet. The Indian swimmer, who is based in Bangalore since the age of 15, said he was very happy to have won a medal after missing out on the bronze narrowly yesterday in his more favoured freestyle event over the same distance. "I am very happy to win a medal today after missing out on the bronze yesterday. It would have been better if it was a gold or a silver but I am happy to win a medal in swimming for India after 24 years," said Khade who became the youngest ever Olympian to represent India two years ago. Indias previous medalist in Asian Games swimming was Khazan Singh Tokas in Seoul in 1986 when he won a silver in 200m butterfly. Khade felt he needs to work on his start after being slow off the block. "I had a bad start. I need to work on it. I am better than these guys in swimming and thats why I could catch up. Its very difficult to recover (after a poor start) in 50m." said Khade who is training under coach Pradeep Kumar. Khade, who finished seventh in the 50m fly in last months CWG, said his aim before the Games was to win a medal in every event hes participating in. "My favourite event is freestyle, 50m and 100m. Tomorrow I would be taking part in the 100 freestyle and hopefully I will win another medal. This medal is a big motivating factor for me in future, thats definite, he said. But the South Asian Games champion in the same event also sounded a bit cautious about his future saying there was no money in swimming in India and he wanted to take care of his family too. "In India there is no money in swimming. I dont know how long I can do it as I have to care for my family too. Theres money for games like cricket and a few others but not for swimming. "I can definitely do better than these two guys (other medalists sitting by his side at the media conference) as I am younger. I am hoping I will get medals in bigger competitions, he said. Khades medal made up somewhat for a dismal day for India in most other events on the fourth day of competitions. PTI SSR MRM


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars