Friday, October 1, 2010

De Jonge and Haas share halfway lead at Viking Classic

Sat, Oct 02 10 07:36 AM

Zimbabwe's Brendon de Jonge and Bill Haas of the United States shot 66 on Friday to share the second round lead in the Viking Classic at Madison County, Mississippi.

The pair, among six joint leaders from the opening round, reached the halfway stage at Annandale Golf Club on 12-under par 132 as they chase their first wins on the PGA Tour.

American Michael Allen, also chasing his maiden win on the PGA Tour 26 years after he turned professional, also fired a 66.

He ended the day three shots behind the leaders and tied with Australian Nathan Green, who carded a 69. Another eight players were within a further three strokes on a jammed leaderboard.

De Jonge played in the morning when the conditions were perfect for low scoring, making six birdies without dropping a shot.

"Obviously, being first out was a big advantage as well. It was fun. It was a good round," he said.

"I kept it out of trouble most of the day. You never want to say it's an easy round. I felt like it could have been a couple better but I'll take 66 any time."

Haas has yet to drop a shot in the tournament, following up his four birdies and an eagle from the first day with another six birdies.

"I've just put myself in position to make birdies and not make bogeys," Haas said. "There's easy holes out there, and there's hard holes. You've got to make sure you par those hard holes."

Allen, 51, has won four titles in his professional career, including the 1989 Scottish Open and the 2009 Senior PGA Championship, but has never won on the PGA Tour in more than 350 tournament appearances.

He has twice finished second and third three times but said he had not given up hope of a breakthrough.

"I've never won out here but I've always believed," he said.

"That's one of the main reasons I play. I play to make a living. I love doing what I'm doing out here.

"This is a great challenge. This could be a fun weekend, I hope -- looking forward to it."


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars