Friday, October 1, 2010

Dope taint off his back, Vij looks ahead

Published>Fri, Oct 01 10 01:26 PM

First came the positive tests - that shocked him - and then the prolonged testing times followed. Saurabh Vij, who was eventually re-included in the Indian Athletics team after he was cleared from doping charges for consuming banned stimulant Methylhexaneamine, claims that the past three weeks of uncertainty were harrowing for him.

Not only did his routine suffer but his state of mind was also adversely affected. But all said and done, this experience has helped him knowing the harsh realities of the business of competing in sport.

"Nobody was with me during the time I was charged with having tested positive for the stimulant; and I mean people whom I considered to be my companions. I was hurt. Them helping me was a distant prospect, they didn't even call me once to know what was happening with me. At the end of the day it was my family and some really close friends who stood by me through thick and thin to help me get out of my misery," says the shot-putter.

The difficult time made him recall the lullabies that parents often recite to their children when they are young. He cocooned himself into one such lullaby-cum-song that kept him afloat during his ongoing agony. Alongwith many sources of motivation, he says his innocence in the whole doping fiasco was the one thing that anchored him throughout his struggle.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going," are the words he often uses to describe his innocence. "I would have lost the battle had I not been given doses of support by my peers and family. And the biggest factor was that I knew I was innocent. That too lent me confidence to brave the doping charges. More importantly, the amount of belief that the AFI has shown in me, has multiplied my hopes of continuing with my aim, " adds the 23-year-old.

For some agonising days it seemed that his two-year long preparations for the mega event would end in an unsavoury dug scandal. During his purple patch two years ago, Vij had started accumulating dreams of becoming a world champion. The CWG and Asian Games were important steps on that ladder. But the times changed, and he is now struggling to regain his lost vigour to produce a medal winning throw at the CWG. "Since fifteen days I am working very hard to get stronger physically. I am there mentally but I still feel the lack of strength. I know the days wasted would not come back but I have faith in my dedication and I am sure my hard work would show results," says Vij.

With hardly a week left for his shot put event, he is confident enough to put a tough fight against his competitors. Training under coach Jogesh Kumar, he insists that he is now giving final touches to his preparations.

"It's like loading a spring in preparation. It will unleash now at the right time. Mentally I will do it but physically, the crowd support will make it happen," states the Delhi lad.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars