Friday, October 1, 2010

Delhi is Currie''s last CWG assignment as Kiwi team boss

Sat, Oct 02 10 11:22 AM

Wellington, Oct 2 (PTI) New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie has said that the Delhi multi-disciplinary sporting event, starting tomorrow will be his last Commonwealth Games as Kiwi team boss. Currie, who is leading the New Zealand team at its third Commonwealth Games since taking charge in Manchester in 2002, has said that 2012 London Olympics will be his last assignment. "This will almost certainly be my last Commonwealth Games," he was quoted as saying by the New Zealand media. "I''ve had an extraordinary run and London will almost certainly be my last Olympics as well. As much as you love it, it will be time for something else. "It''s been on my mind for a while. But when I get there I might pull a David Lange (when he was finishing as Prime Minister) and say I want to keep the job," he said. Currie, who also works as manager of New Zealand Cricket, said he had no regrets about his life as Kiwi chef de mission. "People ask me how I got here ... and I have no idea. I can join the dots backwards. However, I''m not prepared to go and have cups of coffee forever yet. I''m committed to London but not ready to retire to Raglan (his home town)," he added. Currie, who arrived in Delhi early for the Games, made international headlines by becoming one of the first foreign delegate to raise concerns about the Athletes Village, terming it "unliveable". But he said the Delhi experience has tested his passion for the job. "People tell me I do the job moderately well but it''s never easy. It''s times like this when you are tested that ''enjoy'' is the wrong word, but it''s probably why you do it - because it is hard. "One of Tenzing Norgay''s quotes is ''be great and make others great'' so the driver for me is to be the best we can be," Currie said.


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars