Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ochoa rebounds from La Costa disappointment

Published>Fri, Apr 02 10 07:55 AM

World number one Lorena Ochoa shrugged off a disappointing display at last week's LPGA Tour event by surging into contention for the Kraft Nabisco Championship on Thursday.

The long-hitting Mexican took advantage of ideal scoring conditions at a sun-splashed Mission Hills Country Club and putted superbly to end the first round of the year's opening major one stroke off the pace.

Former champion Ochoa narrowly missed a 10-foot birdie putt on the final green to join Norway's Suzann Pettersen in a tie for the lead but she was otherwise delighted to card a four-under 68.

"It was a good day for sure," the smiling Mexican told reporters after a round featuring six birdies and two bogeys. "I made a really good par on the first hole and then I birdied the second to keep my momentum going.

"I was happy to see that because it's been hard the last few weeks. Tomorrow hopefully we'll go for a continuation."

Ochoa, a winner of 27 LPGA Tour titles, finished tied for 52nd at last week's Kia Classic at La Costa, California after closing with scores of 76 and 75.

On Thursday, however, she oozed confidence at a venue that ranks among her favourites on the circuit and where she romped to victory by a commanding five shots in 2008.

GOOD FEELING

"I really like to be here," Ochoa said. "I look forward all year to be here. It's just a good feeling for me."

The popular Mexican, who has more than 50 friends and members of her family supporting her this week, was especially pleased with her form on the slick greens at Mission Hills.

"My putting was good," the 28-year-old said. "Early in the round, I saved a couple of pars from about 12-15 feet and I was really happy to see the ball going in.

"And then I started making birdies at the end of the front (nine) and starting on the back. I was putting for birdie on a lot of holes, and that was key for me.

"Tomorrow, if I do the same, I should be in very good shape."

Ochoa, wearing white shorts, a red shirt and light sweater, came agonisingly close to her seventh birdie of the day, her attempt on the 18th green shaving the right edge of the cup.

"I was playing the right edge and I hit it a little bit right, but I still had hope," the double major winner said. "It was looking like it wanted to turn but it just stayed on the right side."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars