Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grateful McDowell back at Sherwood after life-changing year

Published>Thu, Dec 02 10 09:08 AM

U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell has barely had the chance to take stock of a life-changing season after criss-crossing several time zones in a dizzying five-week stretch.

The Briton has competed in European Tour events in Spain, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai since the end of October and he is now on the West Coast for this week's Chevron World Challenge.

"This is my sixth week on the road now ... so I've pumped a few air miles," McDowell told reporters at Sherwood Country Club on Wednesday. "But it's been good.

"At some point this month I'll sit down and reflect on what's been a life-changing season. I haven't given myself a second to think about what I've achieved this year."

Northern Irishman McDowell has achieved a great deal, securing a maiden major title and the winning point at the Ryder Cup in Wales among several other highlights.

And it was all made possible 12 months ago when he was given a late entry to the Chevron World Challenge after tournament host Tiger Woods withdrew following stunning revelations about his marital infidelities.

McDowell took full advantage of Woods's absence by ending that week in second place, just one shot behind winner Jim Furyk, to give his own world ranking a major boost.

"There's no doubt, getting the invite from the Tiger Woods Foundation to play here really kind of shaped the start of my season," the 31-year-old from Portrush said.

"I finished sixth in Doral, which I probably wouldn't have been in if I hadn't played as well as I did at the Chevron, got to the Masters, and my season had some solidity."

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH

Having broken into the world's top 50, McDowell went on to clinch his first major title in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach in June.

"If I don't finish second at the Chevron here last year, perhaps I miss the U.S. Open and perhaps I'm not sitting here right now after having a dream season," he mused with a smile.

"It's kind of weird how small things can shape a year."

McDowell ended his 2010 European Tour season with three victories, having also triumphed at the Valderrama Masters and Wales Open, to lie second in the money list.

"I'm looking forward to drinking a few cold beers and looking back on a great year," the seven-times European Tour champion said. "It's been amazing, a whirlwind ride."

McDowell could see both good and bad for golf because of the struggles faced by Woods since his private life unravelled so spectacularly at the end of last year.

"With Tiger going through his troubles and whatnot, I think it's given the world a chance to view what golf might be like without Tiger," he said. "We see that golf is very healthy. We've got some really great, young talent coming through.

"But on another note, golf needs Tiger back as well so I'm looking forward to him getting back to winning tournaments again next year.

"I'm sure he'll be pretty motivated to get his number one spot back."

Woods, a 14-times major champion, failed to win a single tournament this year and was dethroned as world number one by Britain's Lee Westwood last month.


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars