Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Harrison refuses to give up despite dismal defeat

Thu, Dec 02 10 03:48 AM

Former Olympic gold medallist Audley Harrison refused to quit as a professional heavyweight on Wednesday despite being pilloried for last month's dismal defeat to WBA world champion David Haye.

"After spending some time away reflecting on the fight and outcome, I have made the decision to continue my journey in boxing and carry on my career as a professional," Harrison said in a statement on his website (www.audleyharrison.com).

"The outcry from the fight is expected as I didn't get the result I wanted and the critics have once again tried to bury me under the rubble and hope I disappear," added the 39-year-old.

"Let the haters and negative comments continue -- I don't really care.

"I know me and I can sleep at night as I'm happy with who I am today. Yes it hurts not to achieve your goals, but we roll up our sleeves and we try again; such is the beauty of life."

Dubbed "Fraudley" and "Ordinary", Harrison put up a pitiful display against Haye in Manchester -- throwing just one punch on his way to a third round technical knockout.

Fans, some of whom had paid 1,000 pounds ($1,560) a ticket, felt cheated and taunted Harrison afterwards with "How can you sleep?".

"He's going to box on, but who's going to buy the tickets to go and watch him?," British and Commonwealth champion Dereck Chisora said on Wednesday.

"Even if he gives them to you for free are you going to go and watch?...Good luck to Audley anyway."


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars