Thursday, September 30, 2010

Davies says 13th man Cup role will drive him on for 2012

Published>Thu, Sep 30 10 09:46 PM

Welsh number one Rhys Davies required driving skills of a different nature on Thursday as he weaved his Europe-emblazoned golf cart through the crowds massed behind the 17th green at Celtic Manor.

The 25-year-old caused quite a stir as Ryder Cup fever went up a notch in the Usk Valley even though, unless something quite dramatic happens before dawn on Friday, he will not hit a ball in anger during the 38th edition of the biennial match.

Davies looked poised for an automatic place in Europe captain Colin Montgomerie's team earlier this year when he was runner-up at the Wales Open at Celtic Manor after posting several other top-10 finishes, but a disappointing late run dropped him out of the reckoning.

As Europe's unofficial 13th player, however, Davies still has a role to play and he hopes the experience of being with the team will inspire him to qualify in 2012.

"It's been great to see everything close up," Davies, who claimed his first European Tour title this year in Morocco, told Reuters while scribbling his signature on baseball caps being thrust towards him by excited children.

"It's a totally different atmosphere, something incredibly unique really, and it's making me hungry to be involved in the next one. It's totally new for me and it's a huge honour to be involved and asked by Colin to be here."

Davies need only look at Germany's Martin Kaymer for encouragement. Kaymer performed a similar look-and-learn role at Valhalla two years ago and has since become one of Europe's top players, winning the U.S. PGA Championship this year.

With slight doubts about Lee Westwood's troublesome calf and Sweden's Peter Hanson suffering with illness, Davies arrived at Celtic Manor with a glimmer of hope that he could get an emergency call from Montgomerie.

RUNNING ERRANDS

Now that possibility has disappeared Davies, who set the course record of 62 at Celtic Manor, was simply happy to run errands for Montgomerie and enjoy the team spirit.

"Yeah, it has been a bit strange," he said. "The first two days here I just wanted to play to be honest, it was really tough. I still really want to play but now I realise that the team is so important and I'll do anything I can to help.

"It has been a real eye-opener. Seeing these guys that are normally individuals all pulling together is amazing and I do feel part of it.

"I've been doing a lot of driving on the buggy. Colin has been really great to be around and I'm trying to help him wherever I can. He has got so many commitments, more than many people realised, certainly more than I realised."

Davies said he was glad Westwood and Hanson were both fit.

"In truth I knew they would be okay," he said. "I never really thought I would be playing. They've played their way on the team and they deserve it and it's good to see Lee fit and Pete healthy. They are both great players."

Davies said the mood in the team was one of expectation and eagerness to get started.

"Everyone is fit and they can't wait to get out there," he added. "This is so different to what I'm used to and even though I'm not playing I'll be out there cheering with the fans. Hopefully I can be on the team on merit in two years."


Source: Web Search

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars