Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vikas ends India''s gold drought in Asiad boxing

Thu, Nov 25 10 09:16 PM

S S Ramaswamy Guangzhou, Nov 25 (PTI) Teen sensation Vikas Krishnan ended Indian boxing''s 12-year-old gold medal drought in the Asian Games by winning the lightweight (60kg) title against crowd favourite and defending champion Qing Hu of China. However, another Indian Dinesh Kumar (81kg) settled for the silver after losing in the finals here today. The World Youth Champion clinched the lightweight 60kg crown by outplaying 2006 Doha champion Hu 5-4 in the final in front of a hostile crowd at the Fushan Gymnasium, here today to give India its first gold from the boxing ring after Dingko Singh''s bantamweight title in 1998 at Bangkok. After winning the yellow metal, the 18-year-old Vikas dedicated it to his coaches. "I dedicate this gold medal to my coaches. This is my first major international tournament and I am extremely happy and proud to win the gold," said the teen sensation from Haryana after his upset win over the Chinese gold medal favourite. Vikas, in fact, accused Hu of fighting dirty by hitting him below the belt twice in the fight which was low on action as the Indian decided to play defensive. "He twice hit me below the belt and the referee punished him only on the second occasion by awarding me two points. I ignored the support of the crowd for the Chinese boxer," Vikas said. Vikas, who also won the Youth Olympics gold medal in Singapore in August, said, "It was a dream come true for me. I am happy to know that (first Indian to win a gold in boxing after Dingko in 1998), but I will be happier if I manage to win a medal at the 2012 Olympics in London," he said. "I was successful in both defence and counter. My plan really worked and I am happy about that," he added. He also said one his coaches had called him from home before the fight and "his words of encouragement gave me a lot of confidence". "I got goose-bumps when the national anthem was played," he added. Vikas kept a shell guard which ultimately proved impregnable for his rival. With scores tied 1-1 at the end of the first three minutes, Hu pushed and hit Vikas below the belt out of sheer frustration in the second round and was handed a warning which cost him crucial two points. The warning ultimately proved decisive as the two boxers could manage just one scoring punch each in the final round, which was just enough for Vikas to repeat Dingko''s feat. While Vikas took the gold, Dinesh Kumar (81kg) was beaten to the yellow metal by his opponent, defending champion Elshod Rasulov of Uzbekistan and lost 4-10. (More) PTI SSR CM


Source: Published>

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Lincah.Com - Mitsubishi Cars